• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnostics

xzalt

NAXJA Forum User
I just wanted to make sure everything with my front end looks like it should. So I thought I would post some pics and let the masters check them out and tell me what is what. I've been thinking about moving to a aftermarket steering stabilizer, but I also wasn't sure of any benefits (I run 32"s)

dsc00172.jpg

dsc00173.jpg

thanks

You look fine. I'm presuming from the looks of your rig that you do little offroading.

I wouldn't worry about the stabalizer, stock is fine and if you need to replace it, I would still stick with stock. You can get the stock from www.4wd.com. Other aftermarket would be an overkill and more expensive.

I'm not 'master' by any means, but in the first pic, looks like the bracket for the sway bar is bent in?

Does your steering damper feel worn? My steering would act like it had a mind of it's own on the highway when I hit a bump or pothole. Found what appears to be a stock heavy duty one off of an '88 from a local wreckers that looked almost new and put it in. Made a world of difference I found. [mine was probably the original stock one from '90. This one looks exactly the same except for it being a bit thicker then the basic stock one I had on it, and had a dust boot on it] It's not overkill by any means, but is noticeable heavier when comparing the two side by side. I believe it was part of a tow package or offroad package on it as it had front/gas skid plates as well, and seemed to have a heavier shocks all around. Steering damper cost me a whooping $7.50+tx.Don't regret it at all. Just something to consider.

Your left front swaybar link bracket (the part welded to the axle housing) is bent inward for some reason. It also looks like the swaybar link itself is bent too.

There are no benefits to installed an aftermarket steering dampner unless you want bling bling on your chassis, or unless the OEM one is toast, but that RARELY happens.

I noticed that it was bent, but I couldn't figure out why/how? I should probably attempt to straighten it. Would a big hammer work best?

thanks for the info on the stabilizer.

Back