• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm 4-link

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Going bananas trying to decide on the next iteration of front suspension mods. Currently running RE 5.5 ZJ springs, Tomken lower arms (fixed, but slightly extended), and some spring spacers for an honest 6in lift. (running 350 +heavy bumper&winch). Upper arms are home-brewed and adjustable. Home-brewed upper and lower control arm drop brackets (3in). No problems with handeling, but am building D44 front, so need to address front suspension AGAIN! How about some opinions on running long arm lowers, and stock length uppers? I'd like to keep the 4-link to enable better "anti squat" stuff.
Thanks for your input on this-never-ending subject.

When I first did my mid arm I only did the lowers. There wasn't any noticable bind cycling the axle in my garage, but I tore half my passenger side UCA mount off a month or two later.
I then lengthend the UCA's, making them the exact same length as the lowers. This worked really well.
I have since eliminated an UCA, mostly cause it's the in thing to do, I don't know if it's really any better than 4 equal length arms.

Paul

Thanks for the input, guys; The three-link systems appear to solve the binding problems assosiated with the 4-link, and I'm still lying on my back daily looking for the needed space. I actually had to cut out most of the UCA mounts to clear the exhaust manifolds and exhaust when I installed the Chevy 350. So room to run another arm back along the inside of the frame is extremely limited. My home-made drop brackets allow use of UCA's--but not much longer than stock.
Roger

i have long lower arms, stock upper arms it rides great, wheels fine, i still top and bottom my shocks for flex, no binding issues or anything, yet, ive only wheeled it twice, then i blew my engine

na, i got 2 long days on it, and one short trip when i blew the 4.0, i got about 12 off road hours on the kit, it really does perform so much better than short arms, if the upper mounts rip off, ill make long uppers lol, eventually itll happen, i break everything

Back