• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 V8 in Xj, what Radiator should work?

Im putting in a 350 5.7L with factory Mechanical fan will require custom shroud. I measure 22in by 22in between the steering box and the frame this would be only 20in^2 larger then the factory XJ radiator. So I think its best to get a GOOD aluminum XJ "shape" Radiator as thick as I can find. I have lots of depth in the factory location. The 22X22 would be too close to the fan and could not be very thick. Ill be running the AC radiator to cool my turbo 400 automatic. no heater, no AC, 110° weather in the rocks. Will to cut alot but prefer to have a frotn mounted radiator over plumming it to the rear and runngin a electric fan on it.

I saw guys like the 3 row CSF on their 4.0s. What construction are they, how big are the cores.

Modine 2 row, what construction, how big are the cores?

One buddie recommended the:
BE COOL radiator, All aluminum, 1in dual core, 32X11 core, 36inx12in $607!!
He is running a V8 in his xj.

GDI go Dan 3 row copper not plastic end caps, is $200 (junk from reviews on NAXJA, radiator shop guy says oooh, yea that'll handle a v8. I say... BS )

Any one try XJ radiator with a V8? what works Im hoping for $300 ish.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50860

Last edited:
ashmanjeepxj said:
Im putting in a 350 5.7L with factory Mechanical fan will require custom shroud. I measure 22in by 22in between the steering box and the frame this would be only 20in^2 larger then the factory XJ radiator. So I think its best to get a GOOD aluminum XJ "shape" Radiator as thick as I can find. I have lots of depth in the factory location. The 22X22 would be too close to the fan and could not be very thick. Ill be running the AC radiator to cool my turbo 400 automatic. no heater, no AC, 110° weather in the rocks. Will to cut alot but prefer to have a frotn mounted radiator over plumming it to the rear and runngin a electric fan on it.

I saw guys like the 3 row CSF on their 4.0s. What construction are they, how big are the cores.

One buddie recommended the:
BE COOL radiator, All aluminum, 1in dual core, 32X11 core, 36inx12in $607!!

GDI go Dan 3 row copper not plastic end caps, is $200 (junk from reviews on NAXJA, radiator shop guy says oooh, yea that'll handle a v8. I say... BS )

Any one try XJ radiator with a V8? what works Im hoping for $300 ish.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50860

Not so sure on the CSF.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58831&page=1&pp=15

My 2 core Modine cools great.

The only other tree-fiddy I've seen in an XJ in person is C-Roks. He had a big-azz aluminum thing that was pretty deep and squarish shaped.

I have a GDI that is holding up for now to the stock 4.0, but barely. From lots of reading on here, I will be going with the Modine rather than the CSF when the time comes. However, with as custom as your setup is, you might just want to forget XJ radiators and just go purely off measurements.

CRASH said:
Not so sure on the CSF.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58831&page=1&pp=15

My 2 core Modine cools great.

The only other tree-fiddy I've seen in an XJ in person is C-Roks. He had a big-azz aluminum thing that was pretty deep and squarish shaped.

I PMed him just before posting. His 350 700r4 should be close to my exact needs and he is in state.

What construction and core size is the Modine?

ashmanjeepxj said:
I PMed him just before posting. His 350 700r4 should be close to my exact needs and he is in state.

What construction and core size is the Modine?

Brass, two cores that take up the same space as the 3 cores (GDI, CSF). Larger tubes, less clogging.

I've talked to a radiator place that has seen up to 30% of the tubes on a new GDI occluded. THat's just very bad build quality. That's why they work fine for some, and poorly for others.

My modine cools a 4.7, which makes less heat than a 5.7, but it cools it very well, so it might work for you.

C-rok:
[/QUOTE]
Hey Dave.
Yes, I have a TPI 350 and 700R4.

I originally ran a radiator that I got from a friend out of late 70s Camaro that had a 350 in it. It was a typical brass core radiator.
It never worked so good so I went to Aluminum and have had not troubles since. Most important thing is to shroud the fan.
I also run two aux electric pusher fans on the front.

The radiator I currently run is from Summit; 33"x19" GM Universal fit. I don't think it will fit in a standard XJ radiator slot though. I cut the front frame rails and cross member completely out of my Jeep since I have the full ladder frame below. This freed up a bunch of space and allowed me to pick the biggest radiator I wanted.

I've read of a couple people just using the same 4.0L radiator and doing fine. Everyone I know of that swapped the 350 in place of the 2.8V or 4 banger were never able to cool with that stock radiator.
In your case I might give the stock one a try.
If you do swap it, definitely go aluminum. You can either get a new one from Summit for pretty cheap, or check scrap yards for something late model that had a V8 in it; Camaro, Caprice, Vette, etc. The factory truck radiators are probably going to be way to big to fit.[/QUOTE]

Greg cut his frame and moved his steering box to fit a large aluminum racing radiator. Ive seen those for $200 ish 1in dual core aluminum generic radiators. More work but less cost.

Back