• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace 6" leaf pack, what brand?

XJoachim

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to replace my Rustys 6" leaf pack in the rear with something else.

Any recommendations?

I don't want to loose height, if the new leafs give more lift it is very welcome :D :D

Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty Leafs.

Lift 6.25". Don't sag. I run them now with 33" Swampers. That combo is over 2.5 years old. I recommend them.

National. 11 thin leaves, excellent load carrying, excellent ride, excellent articulation, very, very durable.

Expensive too. $600 a pair. You will find no finer spring.

CRASH

my vote goes for alcans, I bought an 8inch leaf through bigoffroad.com. they sell alcans that are set up for cherokees with like a 350lb overload built into them so they are designed to work with some gear in the back of your cherokee. I've had mine for a few months and they work good, and don''t sag at all. thanks
-calvin

I'll probably catch flak for this, but I recommend looking into Tomken. I'm running their 6" rear springs and really like them. Lotsa flex, no sag yet that I've noticed and they didn't break the bank.

I've read a lot of old reports that said Tomken springs tend to sag, but I believe they redesigned it since those complaints.

Also, as a pleasant surprise, I've had nothing but great service experience whenever I've called them.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Tomken's leafs. I've never owned their coils however, so I couldn't vouch on them. But their leafs are awesome.

While it seems strange that I would agree with Andy, I'd have to say go to ORGs http://www.offroadgs.com/
and buy the Nationals. I've run Tomken (won't even comment), RE 6leaf packs (not bad ride, but they did start to sag on me). I've had the National packs for over 2 years now with no sign of sagging and a great ride with or without gear. Somehow they've managed to get great flex without the axle wrap.

As for the queston "Who is John Gale", I couldn't tell you. You can go to check out The John Gale Society" homepage at http://www.globalfreedom.com but I couldn't find any useful information there. Seems like they're just selling seminars. Just someone else trying to seperate me from my money. I guess I just don't trust any group that incorporated in the Cayman islands.

Hmmm, one vote for RE, 2 for Alcan and 2 for National. The Alcan springs are custom builrt or bought from bigoffroad (8" leafs) and i would like to know if anyone else runs them and wht the long term experience is with these leaf spring. Do they hold up well, what about flex, do they sag and what height do they net?

Thanks

Joachim

Well, first off, Oregon Boy, it's John GALT. You must have gone to government schools all your life, they don't let you read Ayn Rand at those institutions:

Who is John Galt?

So asks Ayn Rand in her novel, Atlas Shrugged, published in 1957. It is the first line of her panoramic vista of over 1,000 pages that follows the exploits of "giants" as they come to understand the vision and the mission of this man named John Galt, " . . . who said that he would stop the motor of the world - and did."

In 1991, the Library of Congress of the United States and the Book of the Month Club announced that Atlas Shrugged was the most influential book ever published in America - after the Bible. In 1998, a documentary film titled, "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life," was nominated for an Academy Award as best documentary film of the year. Such have been the accolades given to this novelist philosopher and the principles she wrote about over fifty years ago. As such, these principles are worthy of personal consideration and emulation in our lives.

The philosophies of Ms. Rand are interwoven throughout the narrative of her book. The major thesis in most of her works is that we live in a "benevolent universe" and the "happiness is the lot of man, not pain." And this work, Atlas Shrugged, in essence, presents:
…The concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

This concept is also expressed in the statement: "Man is that he might have joy." It is also proclaimed in the lines attributed to John Locke, as written by Thomas Jefferson in America's Declaration of Independence, "...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

CRASH said:
Well, first off, Oregon Boy, it's John GALT. You must have gone to government schools all your life, they don't let you read Ayn Rand at those institutions:

Who is John Galt?

So asks Ayn Rand in her novel, Atlas Shrugged, published in 1957. It is the first line of her panoramic vista of over 1,000 pages that follows the exploits of "giants" as they come to understand the vision and the mission of this man named John Galt, " . . . who said that he would stop the motor of the world - and did."

In 1991, the Library of Congress of the United States and the Book of the Month Club announced that Atlas Shrugged was the most influential book ever published in America - after the Bible. In 1998, a documentary film titled, "Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life," was nominated for an Academy Award as best documentary film of the year. Such have been the accolades given to this novelist philosopher and the principles she wrote about over fifty years ago. As such, these principles are worthy of personal consideration and emulation in our lives.

The philosophies of Ms. Rand are interwoven throughout the narrative of her book. The major thesis in most of her works is that we live in a "benevolent universe" and the "happiness is the lot of man, not pain." And this work, Atlas Shrugged, in essence, presents:
…The concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

This concept is also expressed in the statement: "Man is that he might have joy." It is also proclaimed in the lines attributed to John Locke, as written by Thomas Jefferson in America's Declaration of Independence, "...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

I'll bet you had that prewriten just waiting for somebody to ask you that question.

I am running alcan's 8 inch packs. They are holding up great, but they are stiff as can be. I don't know if their in need of getting broken in, but they sure are stiff. I've only been on two trail runs with them so far though. We'll see what they do after acouple more. If they don't soften up at all, then I'm going to go with nationals springs. Anybody have an idea on how to break these in? Or how long it will take?

I am running 4.5 inch RE Leaves in the rear and they are great. Flex awesome and are at around 5.5 inches of actual lift with no sag whatsoever.

As one of the bestest and hottest web wheelers, I vote for the Alcans thru Big Offroad. They were like $450 or so last year. WIth the RE drop shackle in the rear and the 6" BOR, I am sitting at about 8.5" with not much stuff in the rear. Liked the way they worked last year, haven't wheeled them much this year.

I had the RE1462. The drivers side sagged by a full 1.5" compared to the pass side. RE told me to go pound sand when I told them a 6 mo old spring shouldn't do this.

SeanP

I think they sagged from sitting in your off-camber driveway for so long.........

CRASH

Thanks for all your comments, i have to decide between bigoffroad's 8" or the ORGS packs. No easy decision :anon:

Back