• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom fabricated home skids??

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but struck out on what i was looking for. Im not fond of buying TC skids that dont fit then returning them nor do i wanna spend a couple hundred bucks!!! I fabricated my own rock sliders for a mere $22.50 and a can of rustoleum so im looking for people that have fabricated and welded up there own TC skid plates and any other body armor parts that were fabricated.
Some info on my set up, 4.5" lift, sittin on 31's, 1" t-case drop, 1" crossmember drop, T-case is tilted to avoid excess vibes and rear axle is shimmed for added degree. T-case appears to be stock for a 95 XJ with/4X4/4 door sport model. T-case does stick out some making it difficult to get a good fit with these t-case skids already made to sell....SO i wanna fab my own once again! Was wondering if anyone out there has pics of how they fabed & welded there own body armor and could share for ideas for where the strongest points to weld and the best design to go about is possible!
Thank you guys for anyone who helps out in advance!!!

Just start measuring. It's pretty straightforward. I like the kind that run from rail to rail. The trick is getting it bent. Just have it match the contour of the x-member and cut out for the cat.

Yeah i understand most of that but i was hoping to get some pics from guys that have fabbed up there own so i can see how they designed it for max strength!! I was thinking of running 2 pipes from the crossmember straight down under the bottom of the t-case with some slack inbetween for dent space and then maybe route them to the inner rails.
My second idea was to just get a flat piece of 1/4 or thicker plate steel and just weld it from rail to rail and just heat up any parts that need to be contoured around parts that stick out. I think that would be more efficient!!!

Opinions, advice welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Don't weld skids on. You'll also have to bend it to fit as the TC hangs below the rails.

kid4lyf said:
Just start measuring. It's pretty straightforward. I like the kind that run from rail to rail. The trick is getting it bent. Just have it match the contour of the x-member and cut out for the cat.

Oh yeah, i have no cat; straight pipe into a flowmaster 40 that dumps out the side.
But your saying use steel tubing (round) and make it like a cage around the TC with ample distance between and secure it to the rails??? What about my solid plate of steel to weld straight across and just contour any parts that stick out????

kid4lyf said:
Don't weld skids on. You'll also have to bend it to fit as the TC hangs below the rails.

Yeah but i can heat the plate up and pound out the parts that hang down or make 2 seperate plates that meet in the middle with clearance and just weld it up the middle. Sound do-able to you???

BIG-G said:
But your saying use steel tubing (round) and make it like a cage around the TC with ample distance between and secure it to the rails???
That would work and be very strong. Just weld sheet to it after it's bent and screw it to the x-member and rail.
BIG-G said:
What about my solid plate of steel to weld straight across and just contour any parts that stick out????
That's what I was referring to. You wont be able to go straight across. The TC sits too low. Bend it to match the contour of the x-member and it should be OK. Use 1/4" plate if doing this due to the long unsupported distance.

kid4lyf said:
That would work and be very strong. Just weld sheet to it after it's bent and screw it to the x-member and rail.That's what I was referring to. You wont be able to go straight across. The TC sits too low. Bend it to match the contour of the x-member and it should be OK. Use 1/4" plate if doing this due to the long unsupported distance.

Both ideas sound great and i thank you for your advice. I may go with the round steel tubing and then just weld plates between the tubes.
Thanks again cause thats all i needed!!!

Anyone else out there with pics of there fabrication work would be really appreciated!!!!

My skidd consist of a piece of steel that bolts to the back tow holes on the crossmember and has nuts welded to it, and a piece of 2" channel that is .25 thick that runs from frame rail to frame rail. I then welded two nuts inside the unibody frame rails to hold the channel flush to the rails. And my tcase on my xj does not hang below the rails. It is an 84 though.

Back