• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vac question

OKinNC

NAXJA Forum User
First I want to let everyone know I've searched this and found some info, but I still need a little help. I have an 89 Cherokee with a 4.0 and auto trans. Ok here's my question. Coming from the firewall on the pass side are 2 vac lines. one (which is black) goes to the vac canister by the bumper, the other (which is pink) from what I've found in my searches goes to the heater control valve. This one is the problem. I've searched everywhere and can't find this heater control valve. Does anyone have a pic or can give my an specific location for it?

The controls in the dash are vacuum controls. The vacuum line that branches from the engine should go through the firewall to the controls, and another line from the controls should come back out, to the vacuum controlled water valve in the line near the pressure bottle.

On my 95, the one to the controls is black, the one to the valve gray.

I too have an 89, and the vacuum hose going to the heater control valve is pink. The valve is located directly in front of the auto trans dipstick, in line with one of the heater hoses.

requested pic

Here's a pic. Follow the pink vac line to find the valve.
HTH,
Jeff

engine_left.jpg

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
I too have an 89, and the vacuum hose going to the heater control valve is pink. The valve is located directly in front of the auto trans dipstick, in line with one of the heater hoses.
Ditto. You may be confused by expecting to see a smaller "thingy" as a valve. The heater valve has short lengths of pipe attached to it.

_Maz

Well now that I know what it looks like I've figured out I don't have one. I traced both hoses coming out of the firewall and they both "Y" off one going to the input of the radiator reservoir tank and the other coming from the output of the radiator reservoir tank and then they go to the front of the engine area. My question is should I plug the vac line and leave it or buy a new valve and put it in?

Must be awful warm in the truck since the water is flowing constantly through the heater core. I'd buy the valve so that it'd at least stop the hot water from going through the core.

Grizzley said:
Must be awful warm in the truck since the water is flowing constantly through the heater core. I'd buy the valve so that it'd at least stop the hot water from going through the core.

That's what I would think too, but it doesn't seem hot at all and when it was cold out the heater worked fine. I'm all confused.

My guess is that the valve started leaking, and someone removed it rather than replace it. If you want the heater and A/C to work properly, I would replace it.......

Back