• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shuddering through corners

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed a distinct shuddering when I hit potholes when I'm cornering (DW perhaps?). It's pretty bad at high speeds, and feels like the left wheel's trying to shake itself off the car! It happens more on left turns, and I think that one of my tierods may be a little worn. I was wondering what other things could cause that, so I can track down the likely culprit.

I've changed the LCA bushings over, and did an alignment at the weekend, but there has been no change in the handling characteristics. The half shaft UJs were changed less than 10,000 miles ago. The car's stock, and has done 160k, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few things are worn out!

The back also seems to skip if I hit the same pothole with the back end, making me think it was possibly shock related.

Thoughts? :dunno:

I've found that with mine on the highway when hitting a pothole or such, the steering would want to do it's own thing. Changed my u-joints as they were totally shot, but still did it. Got a hold of a HD steering damper, and put that in. Although it does it a wee little bit still, made a huge difference. Doesn't feel like the steering wants to do it's own thing when hitting anything now.

Chancer said:
Ah, forgot about that one... Are they all pretty much of a muchness, or are there benefits for going for more expensive dampers?

We;;, I figured the only thing that could be causing it was the damper, so when I was pulling my gas skid off, I noticed it as well had the heavy duty one as well. Looked fairly new actually, so pulled it and was worth a shot for the whole $7.50 it cost me. Figured couldn't hurt to try. Big difference. It's noticeably bigger than my stock one [probably the original '90 form the look of it after I took it off] and had the dust boot on it as well. It'll do me fine until I get the lift on, hopefully next summer if all goes to plan. If you can get a good HD one at the wreckers cheap, maybe give it a try and see if it improves things for you.

Chancer said:
I've noticed a distinct shuddering when I hit potholes when I'm cornering (DW perhaps?). It's pretty bad at high speeds, and feels like the left wheel's trying to shake itself off the car! It happens more on left turns, and I think that one of my tierods may be a little worn. I was wondering what other things could cause that, so I can track down the likely culprit.

I've changed the LCA bushings over, and did an alignment at the weekend, but there has been no change in the handling characteristics. The half shaft UJs were changed less than 10,000 miles ago. The car's stock, and has done 160k, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few things are worn out!

The back also seems to skip if I hit the same pothole with the back end, making me think it was possibly shock related.

Thoughts? :dunno:

I can give you a list of likely reasons for the shuddering so here goes:

Worn steering damper
Worn front shocks
Worn UCA bushings
Worn LCA bushings (you've replaced those so that's one less)
Worn tie rod ends
Worn axleshaft u-joints (usually causes steering to vibrate on left or right turn but again, you've already replaced them)

The back end skipping is probably due to worn rear shocks.
I hope your wallet's well-nourished because it looks like it's gonna go on a crash diet. At least look on the bright side; you live in Scotland so getting repairs done won't cost as much as they would if you lived in London. Maybe if you wear a kilt and flash it at the mechanic he'll give you a discount. ;)

FWIW, it was the steering damper - a trip to Mountainjacks (thanks Richard) and an hour of swearing later, the thing steers like a much newer car!

And as for flashing my kilt, well, lets not go there eh?! :)

Back