• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power window stuck

muddytires

NAXJA Forum User
My passenger side window will not close. It has been working fine; sometimes a little slow but always worked. I took off the door panel and tried to manualy slide the window up but wont move. The motor clicks once ,when pressing the switch. Tested to see if i was getting enough volts to the motor ,and i am getting 12.6 V. Does this mean the motor is toast or could it be jammed some how. I thought i would be able to push the window up by hand. Any suggestions???? I have to drive 200 miles tomorrow in the rain!!!!!

Wiggle the window a little left and right, and try lowering it a little before trying to raise it again. If it clicks when you push the up switch, it´s usually the gear jamming on the cable. Forcing the window rarley produces any results, you kind of have to wiggle and play with it for awhile (watch your fingers, when it does decide to move it happens fast, ask me how I know this).
In an emergency you can remove the big nut where the cable attaches to the bottom of the window and make a hook with a piece of welding rod, hook the bottom of the window and pull it up and then bend the wire over to hold the window up, kind of an "S" hook.
You can often get a few more years of use out of your window motor (after you get it to raise), by putting a hose clamp (or large cable tie) on the window cable guide just below the bottom brace. This keeps the window about 1/4" inch above the inside belt line window seal. The cable and gears usually mess up where the window is at it´s lowest point, if you start the whole thing 1/4"-1/2" higher, it will often work just fine for awhile longer. The rubber extension for the cable guide, often falls off and the cable knots up in the door bottom, something else to check. Stuffing some grease into the slot on the cable guide (outside, between the guide and the door skin/hard to see) helps. Also a silicon spray on the window runners often helps some.

Found the problem!!!! I removed the two pins that hold the motor cover on and discovered that some of the magnet in the cover had chipped and was binding on the coil. I removed the broken pieces and put it back together. Now it works fine. Thought i would share this info. As its worth checking before spending big bucks on a new motor.

Back