• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Trimming Question

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I searched, but didn't find a definite answer...

I have a '99 with a Rusty's 2" BB, discos and 15x7 wheels with 4.5" BS, and want to go up to 31's. I have pulled the fender flares off, and wondering how much I need to trim. Can I cut up to just under the holes? I was hoping to reuse the stock flares and mounting bracket. I was thinking I could probably trim the bracket a bit if need be, and cut some of the inside lip off the flare.
I can take pics if necessry, but does anyone have any suggestions? (Maybe someone who has done this on a similar set up.)

Thanks

if you plan to wheel that wont be anywhere near enough. toss the flares and cut the crap out of those fenders if you want any uptravel

I forgot to add, I'm currently running 235 MT's that stuff and articulate really well. It looks like about an inch from the current edge of the fender to the bottom of the holes, and the radius of the 31's is only an inch more than the 235's, so that's why I was wondering if that would work.

is your sway bar still on. my 31s would still get into my trimmed fenders with 3" of lift at times

I just did that mod with the same set up and it worked well. However, I just installed a larger lift before I got to wheel it. It seems like I had a lot of room. Took 2" off the front and 1.5" off the rear. If you decide to do the rear, trim up to the pinch welds and then cut inbetween each pinch weld and hammer the lip up into the quarter pannel. That worked really well for me but it isnt very easy to re attach the rear flares after doing so. The fronts you can go as big as you want but have to be carful of washer bottles on some years. Here is a few pics.
IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

Triming isn't a very good looking addition (as you can see). it looks sh*tty and your flares won't fit right. If you really have your heart set on trimming, there are many threads on this site about trimming properly. If you really want to, do it properly, and run the 31s - should be ok. If you're good, you can reuse your flares and get away with keeping it looking stock. JUST DON'T TRIM TOO MUCH!

Last edited:
barillms said:
If you only have 31s YOU DON'T NEED TO TRIM ANYTHING! Triming isn't a very good looking addition, it looks sh*tty and your flares won't fit right. I have 31s and they completely stuff and are fine. If you really have your heart set on trimming, there are many threads on this site about trimming properly. If you really want to, do it properly, and run 32s. No need to trim for only 31s.
Well he wants to trim, so let him.

Trimming really isn't too difficult, and remounting the flares should be difficult either. Check out this website to see how he trimmed above the holes, then remounted the flares. It looks very good in my opinion, and it won't look shitty

http://www.ericsxj.com/

I don't think I would cut nearly as much as holeshot though. It just helps to see how others have done it. I have read rock lizard's page before. www.jeepforum.com also had some good posts about the subject and several with pictures. I also intend to adjust the bumpstops (check out this link http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBumpstops.htm) I'm going to borrow my co-workers 32" spare tomorrow and see how it goes. I realize it's too big, but I think it will give me an idea where I will need to trim.

This is one of those things I would rather spend some extra time researching and getting opinions on how to do it best (not necessarily opinions on not to do it at all) before I go at it. I appreciate the responses.

What you can also do is basically measure 15.5" from the center hub, to the body, and see how much clearance you'll have all the way around. I did that with my setup, and it came out perfectly.

I just followed the crease so that I would have a lip. Trimmed the rear to match.

RE 2" BB w/ AAL and 31" Dueler M/Ts. I kinda wish I would have cut further up, and I will soon. I'm getting free tire sipping at full flex. (thus the dented fenders)

washjeep.jpg

trim to what you feel comfortable trimming to, then add bumpstops to keep your tires just shy of the fenders.

so what if you have uptravel, once you add bumpstops you can run longer shocks and get more downtravel.

on my MJ, I trimmed enough to fit 33's at stock height, bumpstopped accordingly w/ 12" travel shock up front and 14" travel shocks in the rear.

for anyone that's familiar w/ paragon, that truck ran wampum backwards w/ open diffs and a newbie behind the wheel.

that says something!

I have a question I trimmed the front and rear flares using the cut and tuck method. Now I want to clean it up a bit. I am looking for a way to seal the tabs that are folded over so they don't rust. I remember seeing a write up that showed some kind of metal sealer that was then painted over with bed liner. Does anyone have any ideas?

I used the write up's by I think 53GUY they were a huge help the best write up i saw makes it a hell of alot easier and it looks good

Unfortunately, 53GUY's pics are all gone (last time I checked). I'd like to see his stuff...I've heard good things about it.

p.s. this thread is borderline mummified

Yeah I know it's old. I've already done the trimming I was just looking for what to use to seal the exposed metal flaps that I bent under. I want to take care of it before they start to rust.

I just did that mod with the same set up and it worked well. However, I just installed a larger lift before I got to wheel it. It seems like I had a lot of room. Took 2" off the front and 1.5" off the rear. If you decide to do the rear, trim up to the pinch welds and then cut inbetween each pinch weld and hammer the lip up into the quarter pannel. That worked really well for me but it isnt very easy to re attach the rear flares after doing so. The fronts you can go as big as you want but have to be carful of washer bottles on some years. Here is a few pics.
IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

If you look closely on this it isn't the trim that looks bad it is the paint job and the inner fender sticking down. The trim job looks pretty clean actually.

The write up form 53guy is in the frequently asked questions section but there are no pics anymore I have a print out i could fax if any one needs.

Back