• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backspacing on fullwidth axles...

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, bought the 44 and 9" yesterday, and all the rest of the buildup parts should be in by next week.

My question is about backspacing. I want the rims to stick out far enough to protect the hubs. The look of the jeep doesn't really matter to me as long as the XJ isn't a roller skate, and I can fit through most of the same trails I've been riding on. If I go too wide will I have issues with the tires stuffing into/around the wheel well (after chopping)? I was thinking about 3.5" or less of BS.
I searched, but most of the info was from fullwidth guys from out west. Any east coasters have any experience?

Buildup specs:
HP 44/9"
5:13 yukon gears
Full Detroit lockers
Modified/armored Ford Radius arms on RE joints
35x14x15 Groundhawd bias ply monster mudders
15X9 Cragar "o" hole steelies (BS?)
Screamin Seeman DIY beadlocks (adds 1" to wheel width)
DIY Hydro assist

The budget is $2300 give or take a bit. Be prepared for tons of pics in about two weeks.

Lucas said:
Ok, bought the 44 and 9" yesterday, and all the rest of the buildup parts should be in by next week.

My question is about backspacing. I want the rims to stick out far enough to protect the hubs. The look of the jeep doesn't really matter to me as long as the XJ isn't a roller skate, and I can fit through most of the same trails I've been riding on. If I go too wide will I have issues with the tires stuffing into/around the wheel well (after chopping)? I was thinking about 3.5" or less of BS.
I searched, but most of the info was from fullwidth guys from out west. Any east coasters have any experience?

Buildup specs:
HP 44/9"
5:13 yukon gears
Full Detroit lockers
Modified/armored Ford Radius arms on RE joints
35x14x15 Groundhawd bias ply monster mudders
15X9 Cragar "o" hole steelies (BS?)
Screamin Seeman DIY beadlocks (adds 1" to wheel width)
DIY Hydro assist

The budget is $2300 give or take a bit. Be prepared for tons of pics in about two weeks.

i think your a little confused 3.5 or less back spacing would make your stance VERY wide on full widths. as for measuring for protection on the hub ahh i'm not sure of the distance but a tape measuer comes to mind in this situation just measuer how much hub you have sticking out and then measure how much rim there is after the BS. i forget what stock BS is on wheels i beleive it is around 5 or 5.25 so to get your tires back under your wheel wells you would want around 6" BS with a 10" rim that is about 4" sticking out to cover your hub + what ever the tires bulge.

and not to burst yoru bubble but 2300 seems a little conservative for building two axles, buying tires, steering, rims, beedlock kit,
hope i'm wrong and it all comes together for ya under budget

I am running 4in backspaced wheels and with a 12.5 tire I am just under 76in, hubs are protected....I am getting my boggers mounted up tuesday (37x13) and I am hoping I can still stay under 80in wide....I think anything under 4in BS, especially with a 10in rim would be to wide, but I am on the west coast....

bj-666 said:
and not to burst yoru bubble but 2300 seems a little conservative for building two axles, buying tires, steering, rims, beedlock kit,
hope i'm wrong and it all comes together for ya under budget

It already did. Ebay, my friend...Ebay :laugh3:

Full width is relative, WMS could range from 65in to 70in for SRW axles.

At 69.5in WMS with 8in wide rims about centered 4.5in BS I was at 81.5in wide out side tire on 37s-1250s it kinda looks silly, 35s would be worse.

DaveJeepDescent_2.jpg

With taller tires it looks better. now Im at 84in on the same rims with 15in wide tires.
download.php

dayum, that does look really wide. People have told me that with anything more than 3.5 inches of backspace that the inner part of the rim will hit the Ford tierod in a major way. The WMS-WMS I think is 67" . How do people run H2 rims without hitting the tierod?

Last edited:
Lucas said:
dayum, that does look really wide. People have told me that with anything more than 3.5 inches of backspace that the inner part of the rim will hit the Ford tierod in a major way. The WMS-WMS I think is 67" . How do people run H2 rims without hitting the tierod?

My buddie Is putting the Aluminum H2 17X(9?) on his chevy d60 front 67in WMS. They fit no tierod hitting, but his hubs stick out ALOT

The Military "HMMWV" (Hummers) run the 16.5inX8.25in rim with 7.5in back sapce. Since It is a 16.5in steel rim it will fit on a D60 so should fit on a D44.
On a D60 you need special high steer arms that will clear, and youd need to grind the factory tierod knuckle alittle.

16.5inX8.25in rim with 7.5in back on a d60.
attachment.php

I wouldent run 15in rims (3.5in BS or less on a full width for wheelin in the rocks) Get 16.5s, 17s or 20s.

ashmanjeepxj said:
My buddie Is putting the Aluminum H2 17X(9?) on his chevy d60 front 67in WMS. They fit no tierod hitting, but his hubs stick out ALOT

The Military "HMMWV" (Hummers) run the 16.5inX8.25in rim with 7.5in back sapce. Since It is a 16.5in steel rim it will fit on a D60 so should fit on a D44.
On a D60 you need special high steer arms that will clear, and youd need to grind the factory tierod knuckle alittle.

16.5inX8.25in rim with 7.5in back on a d60.
attachment.php

I wouldent run 15in rims (3.5in BS or less on a full width for wheelin in the rocks) Get 16.5s, 17s or 20s.

What do you consider sticking out? We've got a set of the H2's on a front 60 & 44 and they don't stick out at all on either axle. Pics will be up shortly.

lugie said:

It looks like your ready to push something out in this pic.......

CRASH

CRASH said:
It looks like your ready to push something out in this pic.......

CRASH

I don't see anything wrong with takin' a dump on Wheeler's rig :wave:

Great pics of the Hummer H2 rims on an axle. Is that a Dana 60 or 44 with 8 lug outers? Does it make any difference concerning the hub stickout and lockout? What is the backspacing on the Hummer H2 rims? What was the track width (center of tire to center of tire) on your old buggy with the H2 rims and a full width D44 front axle? What was the WMS to WMS on that same axle? Thanks, Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Great pics of the Hummer H2 rims on an axle. Is that a Dana 60 or 44 with 8 lug outers? Does it make any difference concerning the hub stickout and lockout? What is the backspacing on the Hummer H2 rims? What was the track width (center of tire to center of tire) on your old buggy with the H2 rims and a full width D44 front axle? What was the WMS to WMS on that same axle? Thanks, Jeff
kingpin, driver's side HP diff, leaf springs, looks to be a 60 from a late 70s F350. I am pretty sure the H2 wheels are a 17x9 with 5" backspacing.

do xou `ve any rubbingcn the Ddernd? `d why te you Epinf 8"vide rims?

HoodRichXJ said:
Thrasher that looks good I too would like to know what sixe tires your running and the back spacing, and are you running close to the factory ford hp44 steering I can't really tell from that picture. thanks steve

tires are 37x13's and the backspacing is 4in on the wheels...the axle isnt HP, for the steering I used a flat top knuckle/highsteer arm/1 ton TRES and DOM tubing...

Back