• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liftgate Removal/Instalation...

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
How do you remove the liftgate and then install another one? Somebody offered me one cheap so I'm taking them up on it. Is there a wiring harness to disconnect or do I have to cut & resplice? Also will the wiring be different if the XJ it's coming off of is like 5 years newer or older than mine? Mine is a 90 XJ Pioneer. How do you de-tach & re-atach the lifter shocks? Would it be worth the extra $15 or so to get the windshield that's on it already or is it easy to remove it & seal it again. Last but not least, is it possible to change out the key cylinder so the same key opens every door?

Thanks

The wiring the hatch you'll find goes in an down behind the panel on the drivers' side where behind where the spare goes. How hard to remove and put in a new one, I'm not sure, but shouldn't be too hard I would think. IIRC, there is a connector there for the wiring. I know that some there definitely is, but have never looked that closely.

Not sure the exact years, but I've done wiring with parts from a '91/;92 and with what I was doing is the same, just different wire colours. Just have to know what wires do what in each seperate year, and you should be able to easily figure out what goes where.

The lifter shocks are easy to do. You'll find a thin wire on each end, with a bit of a hook on them. Careful pull the hook to swing the wire away form the groove it sits in, and then simple pull it out. Once out you can pull the end of the shock off. To put it on is just the reverse procedure.As for the window, I'd probably get it with it already in and save myself the hassle of having to change it, unless the new one doesn't have the rear defogger window.

To change the lock is pretty easy. Just pull the retaining clip, take the entire lock cylinder assembly out, and put yours in, then put the retaining clip back in. I"ve actually got all the door locks form a '93 and they are a simple change out for my '90 Pioneer.

Hope this helps you some.

Back