• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch wiring

ibjeepin821

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys 89 cherokee and im wiring a hitch...I have the converter and harness but i cant figure out the wiring...if someone can give me theconfiguration or which colors go where that would be amazing....the cops dont like me riding around town with my landscaping trailor not lit up. thanks!!!

What converter do you have? Chrysler changed the wiring in 1991, so if you have an adapter for 91 thru 96 Cherokees, it won't work on an '89.

I pulled it off a cherokee in a junk yard....im guessing the jeep was newer. Now what should I do?? go get another one i guess?

you should be able to tap into your wires still. its not difficult to build your own harness, you just need a test light/ multimeter. I did mine without a book on the wiring. but the wiring is available online.........lunghd downloads i think....

the easiest way is to go to napa and buy a universal harness. the 4 prong is the most common, those run about 16 bux. it's really easy just "splicing" wires. get some of those connectors that you squeeze that cut into a wire with another wire leading to the harness. get some zipties to secure those connectors...follow the wiring, and you're done the top is the brake, second from top is driving lights, third is signal and fourth is backup. be sure and hide your wiring harness, i wired mine up and it only took a week before it got ripped off, f'in thieves. i did a little bit of mexicanizing though. i've got a trailer wiring harness that you can disconnect when you don't need it. i'll get some pics up soon. that's the only thing i could think of from having my stuff stolen again.

I found a 4 wire harness in a friends tool box which he said he didn't need and gave to me. It's about 4-5 feet of the wire and the plug. Lucky part is that the wires are printed with what they go to, so all I have to do is splice it in. I plan on having mine in the cargo area, probably tucked under the trim on the side. When I want to use it I'll just pull it out and let the wire close in the hatch. It won't get very much use, so I couldn't see having it outside the vehicle all the time.

Back