• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof light glare issue

ExNews4XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a garvin rack with 4 hella 500 driving lights on it and when I use the lights at night I get heavy glare off the hood on to the windsheild, almost to the point where they are more blinding than a help. My jeep is white and i was just wondering if this is a common problem and if any body did something to fix this or if i should just move them to the push bar. the front of the lights are about 8 inchs from the top of the windsheild. any input would be very helpful. i did do a search but came up with very little on this problem.

Last edited:
I tried aiming them but the problem is the same a visor was going to be next just wanted to see if any one else had the same problem and what they did to fix it

or you could try doing those old school hot rod "eyelids" on the bottom of the lens, that way it blocks light from going down.... im assuming these are a wide angle fog light, and not a narrow driving light?

Two alternatives, one is to make sure they are aimed straight out, not down at all. The other is to put a 'bill' under them, just like the bill on a hat only upside down. They stick out about 8" or so and can be made from some sheet metal or aluminum. Look for some rally car or baja bug pics where they have them up top and you will see what I mean. Also make sure the lights are not upside down, the 'Hella' should be right side up. Most of the hella aux lights are out of the box for *under* the bumper mounting so the lense is upside down for top mounting.

I'm not sure if this would work, since I haven't had to work with roof lights, but could making the hood angled help? What I mean is by using hood spacers, could the light possibly glare less in your eye? Maybe not, but it's a cheap modification anyways that could at least dull the problem.

i had to fight this a while when i put my light bar on. i just kept adjusting its position on the roof until there was no more glare, kept taking it further back. dont know if you can do that with the rack though.

Can you move the lights back on the roof at all? Another option...if you really like the lights and use them alot would be to paint the hood matte black like they do on Rovers. I wouldnt paint it but maybe get some magnetic sheet material in black so you could remove it. You can get it at sign shops by the yard.

Back