• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do I stick in this hole?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

Pic if borrowed on Dino, he already has something in his hole. If you look directly under the 5th cylinder cap (gold) you will see a small plug. My new block has an empty hole. What is this, and what do I stick in it?

STROKER1.jpg

Thanks!

Todd

Last edited:
?????

I don't see any picture, nor a link to a picture. What is it we're supposed to be seeing here?

Isn't that the drain plug for the block ? Could not find any reference to it in my 98's FSM either...

NHxj4x4 said:
That's kinda what I thought. Didn't think it was a knock sensor.....

Pour some water in and see any comes out.. :laugh3: you could even blow some smoke in the hole and see where it exits.
Just thought I'd mention, your being in NH, if you have the engine this far down it might be a decent option to put a block heater in it now...

RichP said:
Pour some water in and see any comes out.. :laugh3: you could even blow some smoke in the hole and see where it exits.
Just thought I'd mention, your being in NH, if you have the engine this far down it might be a decent option to put a block heater in it now...

Never thought of that, are they universal or is their some super dooper Jeep one I should be looking at?

www.jeepsareus.com has them for the jeep. According to my manual it goes in the first freeze plug hole all the way up front.
As for the plug, it's just some weird size that takes a square socket somewhere between a 3/8 and 1/4 inch. As for the hole you are asking about, I'd look for a brass one myself, you just need to find out what thread size that thing takes.

That's some purty engine y'all got there. :farmer:

Questions 4-U:

* How many miles were on the original engine?

* Why are you putting in the new one(what problems were you having?)?

* You profile says that you have a '93. Is this a '93 that you're putting in or did you order another one - like a '96?

* Did you remove the radiator, or are you dropping it in from the top?

RTicUL8 said:
That's some purty engine y'all got there. :farmer:

Questions 4-U:

* How many miles were on the original engine?

* Why are you putting in the new one(what problems were you having?)?

* You profile says that you have a '93. Is this a '93 that you're putting in or did you order another one - like a '96?

* Did you remove the radiator, or are you dropping it in from the top?

Not my engine, it's Dino's. I'll post pic of my Stroker when she's done!

RichP said:
www.jeepsareus.com has them for the jeep. According to my manual it goes in the first freeze plug hole all the way up front.
As for the plug, it's just some weird size that takes a square socket somewhere between a 3/8 and 1/4 inch. As for the hole you are asking about, I'd look for a brass one myself, you just need to find out what thread size that thing takes.

Thanks again man, and good call, I'm gonna order that heater.

NHxj4x4 said:
That's kinda what I thought. Didn't think it was a knock sensor.....
The knock sensor (for those who have one -- Renix only) is located lower and farther forward, in one of the threaded bosses just above the bottom of the block at the oil pan interface.

I think what we're looking at here is a coolant drain plug hole. Should take a standard pipe plug.

NHxj4x4 said:
Guys,

Pic if borrowed on Dino, he already has something in his hole. If you look directly under the 5th cylinder cap (gold) you will see a small plug. My new block has an empty hole. What is this, and what do I stick in it?

STROKER1.jpg

Thanks!

Todd

It's the hole for the coolant drain plug. I can think of a number of things you could stick in it ;) but a plug would be preferable.
RTicUL8, since you think my stroker engine looks sexy ;) , I'll treat you to a view of the other side as well:

STROKER2.jpg

It's done 12,500 miles since I started running it on July 1st last year and I love it. I still have my old 4.0 as a spare (did 174.5k miles) and I'm considering whether to rebuild it into another stroker.

Isin't that a 1/4" NPT? The 4.0 has two of them one on the front half and the other in the back half. The block originally came out witht a recessed head plug in it that required a 5/16 square tool to remove it. I replaced both of mine with a brass plug with a raised square head plug from Home Depot.
My $0.02

That is the hole for the coolant temp sensor. If you look in there you will see it is in the water jacket. The hole for the knock sensor is lower down. Easy to tell the difference...Knock sensor hole is about 1/4" deep and is sealed...in other words, it's blocked off....

Actually, you should have two plugs on the left side of the engine that go into the water jacket. Either one will work with the CTS.

It's also a great place to install a temp switch should you ever decide that you need another one for an electric fan mod.

Back