• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine causing DW?

XJwnstn85

NAXJA Forum User
Well i picked up the XJ from the transmission shop today and on the way home i experienced a few little problems... The main one being death wobble. The odd thing is that the engine would usually quit when this occured. and it seemed to occur at multiple speeds, can the engine stalling have something to do with the wobble or is it probably just something in the front end? the engine didnt completely die sometimes, but it doesnt run exactly great right now anyways, considering the jeep hasnt been drove on the road in about a year and has sat ever since the previous owner tore up the tranmission. Any ideas? thanks guys

XJwnstn85 said:
well i experienced the wobble again and was wondering if the steering pump could cause the wobble bc it seems to occur at low RPM's on the highway.

I don't know about the stalling problem, but I have heard of (and experienced) a worn-out/cloged box surging, causing the wheel to go every which way but the right way. Don't know if it would cause DW.

PS, how many miles on the truck?

Are you certain that what you have is death wobble? There are various degrees of wheel wobble, shimmy, shake and "tramp" that do not rate being labeled death wobble. And no, nothing about the engine could cause death wobble.

it is one hell of a shake but i bled the power steering pump and havent had any problems but i havent had it back out on the highway. i am going to test her out tomorrow. i will post what happens, thanks guys

"Death wobble" is so named because when it strikes, you're absolutely 100% certain that you are going to die -- RIGHT NOW!. It feels like a demented demon has grabbed the front end of your Jeep and is trying to violently fling the entire vehicle off the highway. With death wobble there is no way you can continue driving ... you have to slow down (or stop) to end the shaking because the vehicle is out of control. Daeth wobble truly makes you feel like soiling your undies.

This is very different from wheel shimmy, when you can feel it but you can continue on down the road pretty much indefinitely.

XJwnstn85 said:
Well i picked up the XJ from the transmission shop today and on the way home i experienced a few little problems... The main one being death wobble. The odd thing is that the engine would usually quit when this occured. and it seemed to occur at multiple speeds, can the engine stalling have something to do with the wobble or is it probably just something in the front end? the engine didnt completely die sometimes, but it doesnt run exactly great right now anyways, considering the jeep hasnt been drove on the road in about a year and has sat ever since the previous owner tore up the tranmission. Any ideas? thanks guys
Check your tire's for flatspot's.
If it has been sitting for about a year, you will have square tire's in stead of round one's.
Have'em checked @ your tireshop.

Last time I had DW, it turned on the blinkers and wipers from the G forces.

Ya got to watch out for the little ones, they are viscious.

Back