• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8" ARB Problems(locker wont unlock)!!

RE-xtremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had an 8.8" with an arb and 4.56 gearz installed into the rear of my cherokee. I hooked up the ARB with a power tank and a hydrolic switch-(from gulf coats rovers).

I tested the locking and unlocking action on jack stands with no problems. The next day and mabye 10-15 sucessful actuations later the locker siezed up!!

It seems like the line is blocker cuz it wont fully disengage when the switch is released. I can hear the air releasing but my tires are definetly still locked. At first i didn't realize it wasn't fully unlocked and when turning LEFT only, there was a clunking/

-I have tried pumping up the pressure to 110psi. and all the way down to 80psi., tried doint it while stopped, coasting at various speeds. There are no kinks in the line.

-I only actuated the locker while stopped and on reletivley flat surface.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone, any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

-Thanks Mike

So it is locked, or is it uinlockeed and making a clunking sound? I used to ahve an arb in my old truck and soemtimes it would stay locked, but if i drove aorund a while it would unlock. Also, hearing these stories about arbs locking up sort of makes me not want one for my front axle....

Are you sure it's releasing all the air pressure?

The clunking has me stumped though. Even when it's locked you should hear anything beside maybe a dragging tire.

OK. It seems to lock up alright when i apply pressure via the switch. But when i flip the switch to release pressure, it seems the locker unlocks half way. Right turns are ok and left turns i have a very noticable clunking/ratcheting.

-Update- the clunking has stopped and it seems now that what ever i do, the locker it stuck fully locked.

Take it back to the people that installed it and have them check it out. You could even call the ARB techs, but it would be better if they did. Something isn't right at all.

I called the guy who installed it and he told me theres nothing he can do!!!-cuz he didn't put the ARB together!!!
He said try to call ARB to get it warrante'd.

And mind you the first time i picked up my truck from his i was supposed to get 4.56gears front and rear, i go to put it in 4wd come to find out he put 3.55 in the rear and 4.56 in the front!!!

Has anyone ever held arb up for their warranty, and if so how long does it take and the process of it- like do you have to send the locker back to them and waite forever to get it warrantied??

I've always gotten really good service from them. I wonder if the pieces that push the locking gear out broke.

do you think its possible a little piece of something got in the air system and cloged the locker internally?

-my installerr told me it could be "dirty C02", and that i should put a filter on the tank cuz C02 on the east coast is dirty???
-i am doubting how much he really knows as a mechanic.

I kind of doubt it CO2 has to be cleaner than a normal compressor anyway and I've never heard of air problem causing sticking. It really sounds to me like something broke like the return spring (or plunger or whatever you want to call it) and it doesn't have the pressure to push the gear over to unlock it. Since it's brand new I would almost bet money it was a manufactured defect.

Call ARB in the morning and see if you can talk to Tim. He'll be able to give you much better guidence. If you aren't up to pulling it yourself see if he can recommend someone in the area. I would want to kick the mechanic in the teeth if he blew me off like that. Hell I want to and it isn't even my rig. :D But I guess he did talk to you on a Sunday.

Just to make sure. You said you can here it dropping the pressure when you shut the switch off? Are you sure it dropped all pressure, try pulling the line off the valve?

Anyways good luck.

Aight man thanks for the advice...yah i can hear the exhaust port blowin off, and ill try pulling the line from the diff housing just to eliminate checking the entire line and switch and see if it unlocks or releases any pressure.

Thanks again,
Mike

Dirty East Coast CO2, that's a good one.

:confused1:

CRASH

2 years ago in Moab, the Garvin's TJ had the same problem (had a super 35 kit). The ARB itself was broken. The broken pieces kept the locker engaged. Luckily we ran into a ARB rep/salesman and with some spare parts from Moab Off-Road he took the time out and got dirty and opened it up and fixed it for them.
Now THAT is customer service.

Wow thats pretty impressive, yeah every time i talk to ARB they are more than willing to help and said they would replace anything thats broken if it is a locker defect.

They also told me that the 8.8 arb is the strongest unit they make, so that bring up the question- What the F*$! is goin on!!

RE-xtremeXJ said:
Wow thats pretty impressive, yeah every time i talk to ARB they are more than willing to help and said they would replace anything thats broken if it is a locker defect.

They also told me that the 8.8 arb is the strongest unit they make, so that bring up the question- What the F*$! is goin on!!

Did you call them yet?

RE-xtremeXJ said:
Yah, they told me to pull the carrier, pull the ring gear from it and "visually inspect" it, then call them to report the damage?

That sounds about right. I would almost bet there is a problem with the piece that pushes it back apart. If it's the new style 8.8 (it should be) pulling the ring gear will give you access to the internals.

Figured id update this thread incase anyone is interested. I ended up stopping at the installers shop while on the way to a weekend wheling trip to paragon(before it closed). Ended up that he put the wrong crush sleve inside the lock nut that is threaded to the housing and it mashed down so far that the air would not release and it just keept pumping up the internal bladder.

Had to replace the fitting into the housing and new crush sleeve and lock nut.

Just another example of why you should not search for the cheapest installer and then drive 5 hours away to get unguranteed work done. Lesson learned over and over!

Back