• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack can cause Roof to Cave in???

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
read this thread: http://www.gljt.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4715&highlight=newly+lifted
Expectly the 9th? post with this part in it:
"Think of the roof rack as a roof extension. When ever you come to a spot where you would have just made it by without damaage without a rack, now you will very likely cave your roof in. Seen it lots and I giggle every time I do. (how cool does it look now?!)"

Cave the roof in? Has this happened to anyone?

By that logic, we should all remove our front fenders. If they ain't there, they won't get damaged. Time to remove the skid plate to gain more clearance. :)

If you need the utility of a roof rack, run one.

I guess we must also remove our tires.

If you have no tires, there's nothing to puncture and no beads to lose, so no more worries about flat tires.

Sometimes a little logic goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far.

I have seen a lot up upside down XJ's supported by the roof, so I am guessing that if you put more than the curb wieght of the XJ up on there you may have an issue.

91 Jeep Project said:
Guess I can't carry that spare XJ around on my roof rack anymore...............:rolleyes:
I guess that means a certain thread has to be revived again :D

Yeah roofrack can cause the roof to cave in if you land on it hard enough. But guess what at that point you might be F'd already so what's the difference.

I would have a suggestion through: keep the rack low profile (close to the roof) and if it's safari style rack mount it to he gutters with at least 6 (3 pairs) mounts and..... avoid trees with low hanging branches as they want to take your rack off the roof.

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
Cave the roof in? Has this happened to anyone?

Only had that happen with a VW bug loaded with camping gear on the roof in a el-cheapo rack. Bouncing up and down on Baja roads bent the rails on the bottom and fubar'd the roof.

A safari style rack should be OK.

yeah, how bout this then, last fall, down a trail, caught a broken branch, it broke right as i was getting under it and it pulled my rack right off.
one scrape to the roof, one mInor dent bout 2 inches barely noticeable.

switched to 6 mounts shortly after i got home.

live and learn. i got lucky, i think i would have been sol without the rack. just barely caught the rear and my hi-jack. craziest part was the i heard it, slowed down and then watched in my rear view as my rack dropped flat outta the sky and hit the ground hard enough to make me think i just blew a tire. landed right behind me in front of the xterra that was following. worst part was it had just started to rain, and it was getting dark fast.

something to be said for breakaway points. it was like sliding a drawer off its mounts. nothing a sledge hammer couldn't bend back into place. lol, you'd never know looking at it today.

Back