• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire sizing and offset for 16" wheels

gator_grabber

NAXJA Forum User
After years of running 15" wheels, I'm going to give 16's a try. First, I'm looking for a tire size that will get me around 31" tall, but slightly favoring the narrow side for width. Since I've not bought anything, the wheel width can be anything. That determined, what kind of offset will work with a suspension that's only going to be raised 2" or so? I'm trying to avoid the LCA rubbing (at full lock) that the BFG 31x10.5x15 tires gave me. Yes, I've searched...you guys really like big tires! :D

I've run Rubi wheels for over 2 yrs with 285/75/16's MT/R's which shake out to a 33" x 11.25" equivelent. My previous 2 sets were 32x11.50x15's and stuffed well but I needed wanted ground clearance. To eliminate the LCA rubbing issues, I also run a set of 1.25" billet wheel spacers that I used with stock Jeep 15x7 Sport wheel for a total BS of 4", which were perfect for the 32's.

Now with the 16x8 Rubi wheels, the 1.25 spacer is just a bit too wide.....if I didn't already own them, I'd go with a 1" or even a 7/8" unit to net a total BS of 4.25"-ish. I haven't needed to trim sheetmetal to get them to stuff but I do rub on the inner wheelwell liners. I realize that you're looking at about 2" of lift, whereas I have 6" with my setup, but the rim width/BS discussion still applies. I think the 285/16 is a perfect tire for a 6" lifted XJ when you don't want to chop fenders and add wider flares.

My recommendation for 16" wheels is to go with 4.5" to 4" of BS running 16x7's........4.5" of BS if you want to run a 16x8. Size the tire to the lift you are running, 245's for 2-3" lift (stock Rubi tire size), 265's for 4-5", 285's for 5.5-6" of lift will net you a good look, functional tires, minimal rubbing, whiter teeth and fresh breath........

Back