• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atlas II

sbxoxj

NAXJA Forum User
what is a good crawl ratio I want to buy a atlas II but need to figure out which one is best for me. 89 cherokee limited automatic, 4.56 gears 33" tires
i figure that with my set up and a 4.3:1 I'll be at 54.9 thats if my tranny is a 2.8:1 first. i think its a AW4 tranny.

if you have the 4.0 engine, you have the AW4 tranny, with a 2.8 first. what kind of wheeling do you do?

I have the same tranny, 35s, 4.88s, and the stock 2.72 in the t-case. This is great for 98% of the stuff on the Rubicon and other NorCal rockcrawling trails. For more technical trails like Johnson Valley or AZ trails I could see wanting 4.3, but not for the Rubicon. If you gear too low, it will be very difficult to stop and it will be annoying on trails that you go 5-10mph on. It also depends on if you think you will get 35"+ tires in the future.

with your setup, unless you're running very slow, technical trails (in which case you probably wouldn't even be asking) I'd get the 3.0:1 case.

However this leads me to wonder, why do you want an Atlas? A D300 might be a better choice...

what kind of wheeling? squamish is in BC, right? I would then guess most of your wheeling is in muddy/slippery conditions that require some wheelspeed. So I would say D300 for 33-35s, 3.0 Atlas for 33-37s, 3.8 Atlas for 38-40s, 4.3 Atlas for 41-44s, and 5.0 Atlas for 45"+.

BrettM said:
So I would say D300 for 33-35s, 3.0 Atlas for 33-37s, 3.8 Atlas for 38-40s, 4.3 Atlas for 41-44s, and 5.0 Atlas for 45"+.

Or a STaK for anything from 33s to 44s :greensmok

Back