• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing new front speakers

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question - I need to get new speakers for the front doors of my 89 Cherokee, I know they're 5 1/4" and all that, but do I have to take the door panels off to get to them? Thanks.

I was able to get at mine on my 95 by poping the clips in the general area, then pulling the speakers out. kinda a PITA but better than full removal.

Okay I got it out. I just popped all the clips out like you said, removed the arm rest and door handle plate, and had to shift/slide the top of the door panel off. It took a while, but those old speakers are AWFUL. The paper cone of them isn't even attached to the rim anymore, it's shrunk to about 1/2 size!

LOL I know. Redid mine as well. Put in infinity reference 5002i speakers, and they sound great. Another thing that can be easily and cheaply done to improve sound and road noise, is if you have a u-pull it in your area, find a couple of neon 4-doors, remove the door panels, [one philips screw, one torx screw, and remove the window handle clip to take it off] and carefully remove the black lining inside. [soundloc] then place over the plastic on your XJ door, and put on using contact cement. [put on both the door where needed, and the soundloc and when dry push together] The extra ones are used for cutting and trimming to have the entire area beneath the door panel.

I found with the new speakers, they sounded great, but got rattling with the door. Putting this on is way cheap, and is thin enough to put underneath. The push pins are easy to push trough as well. Cost me about maybe $5 and have more than enough do do all my doors, rear hatch, and even the back insides as well. The added benefit to sound quality is way less road noise on the highway.
I'm adding a small amp in the back I got for free [sony 30wx2 ] with two 6 1/2 inch subs. With the 4 infinity system and the soundloc, really good sound without distortion or rattling. Plus inexpensive! [speakers and cabinets are costing me a totaly of $20 to make]

Good luck!

Back