• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear TJ Flares

Alright, so I've looked at past threads. I've got the front TJ flares mounted but can't figure out the rear ones. It looks like I have to mount it partly to the door. Also, should I use self tapping screws? Do I need to worry about cutting the pinched seam?
Any help and especially pics would be great!

I used a bolts on the first two_One all the way throught the door. on on the inside. the bottom one I used a self tapper. only because the bracket for the window is in the way.

the rear part is easy just pull the rear interior panel.

I used nutcerts in the doors and bolts/nuts on the body.They did look good when I first put them on and as you can see they hold up well.
xj1.jpg

I'm also confused on the rear TJ flares and what my options are for the pinch seam, and mounting the flares to the doors. Is there no write-up on this anywhere?

Well, if you know how to weld, doing the rear can be just as easy as the front. You can cut above the pinch seam, cut a few slits in the wheel well so that you can pound it upwards to meet with the body panel. Once it's close enough, you weld them shut. No strength is lost, so don't worry. Mounting the flares is pretty simple as well, all you do it hold them up to where you would like to mount them, mark each hole with a pen, or in my case, nail polish, drill some small holes, then with the flare in place, screw in self tapping screws, and you are done. You are going to have to cut the flare in half of course, but you can line it up first, see how it will fit, and cut accordingly. That's how I did it, and everyone seems to like it.

The flares have been smashed against walls, dragged on rocks, and they still haven't come off, so the self tapping screws work as promised :D

I don't have access to a welder, so am I stuck with the cut and bend method only? Would there be a way to make some sort of brace out of angle iron or something to screw onto where the pinch seams were to keep some structure and keep mud out of that area?

shotstopper said:
I just need a good few pictures on how to actually mount the rear flares. I have pretty much everything cut, I just am not sure how to go about attaching them and if I attach part to the door or what.
Sheet metal screws. That's it.

Back