• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery going dead, Help

GRNT

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I seem to have a short somewhere that is causing my battery to go dead every couple of days while my xj sits in the garage. I have pulled fuses to try and isolated it with no luck. The way that I know there is a draw on the battery is that when I hook up a charger to the battery, I get a strong spark when hooking up the ground lead of the charger. It will also spark when I touch the body area around the battery. This is telling me that I probably have a bare wire touching the body somewhere. Am I assuming correctly?
Anyone have any ideas? I've looked all over but can't seem to find a wire that is tight or seems to be worn.
Thanks
GRNT

Won't be a bare wire..a dead short like that would blow fuses or burn fuse links..look for lights staying on...underhood light, glovebox light, vanity or map lights, courtesy lights, even brake lights...if not that..disconnect the battery...unhook the wiring to the alternator..and check again for the short...if it goes away...bad diode in the alternator. Another trick is to pull fuses one at a time till the drain goes away..rigging a ammeter inline with the positive cable can also give you an idea of how large the drain is..if it takes a few days, not a real big drain..also it has to be on a circuit that has power with the ignition off...hope this helps...Dawg

You don't say what yr yours is but mine kept doing the same thing just due to the alarm and clock and stuff. The battery was on it's last legs, as it turns out. Got a new battery and it's been fine for a couple months now.

Back