• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diamond plate rockers......

cwlongshot

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen this on a number of XJ Jeeps. Is this a do it your self kinda thing or is there someone out there who offers this pre cut and bent?

I need to do something with the bottom portions of my bed on the MJ. I have hopefully killed all the rust. Now I need to hide the unsightly holes!!!

ALSO the actual rockers under the doors. I cannot seem to find replacement rocker pannels. Diamond plate would also work here. I have cut out all rust and treated everything inside the rockers. Seems like simple bends so I guess its shade tree doable....

There is also a couple holes in the sides of the bed, just in front of the tail lights. I am thinking diamond plate here as well... big suprize huh.

Aluminimum diamond plate is assumed what its actually made of, but I am not sure.

I have seen some sheet diamond plate at some Home Depots and Lowes stores. I do not have any way to bend it. Are small bending brakes avalible for rent?

Thanks for the answers guys!!!

cwlongshot said:
ALSO the actual rockers under the doors. I cannot seem to find replacement rocker pannels. Diamond plate would also work here.
I'm no expert, but I think I would want something more substantial than diamond plate on my rocker panels. I like the built in sliders that several people have done where they replace rusted out rockers with 2x3 square tube steel.
Just a thought, but I live in AZ. I have heard of rust but never actually SEEN it :)

Ron
00 XJ
87 XJ

There are several places that make aluminum chromed rocker covers. That is exactly what they are. They will do practically nothing towards protecting your rockers or doors. The do look nice, but are a waste as a protective device for other than sand pitting from the tires. If they were steel, then they would help some, but still far short of what we normally think of as rocker protection.

You guys are correct if the end result was only rock protection, for me, inthis case, its not.
If this vehicle was wheeled I would agree with ya, but this is a DD and I am only looking to repair some unsightly rust holes.

Thanks,
CW

Well,
I finally got around to bending some up to cover the holes. I need to do the lower portions of the bed, then paint everything black!

driverssidedia.jpg

Passsidedia.jpg

I also built a new rear bumper!! It came out so good, I am making a front to match!!

MJRearII.jpg

driveview.jpg

Next is the new rear springs, ubolts and shocks!

CW

Sorry for the lost pics in the prev post....any how, here is what I did for my rockers!

I read a thread ANDREW 2516 wrote, about using a rear tail gate cap for rocker protection. Well its only aluminum so its not really much protection,. but its really nice to cover rusted out rockers!! Its DeeZee part number 2143B for a 2002-06 Dodge Ram pick up. The contour/profile is almost exactly the same as the XJ/MJ rockers!!

When I got my MJ, the rockers where not that bad, but would have been if not taken care of right away. There was small rust holes for most of their length. I removed all effected metal, back to solid steel and cleaned and prepped area for RUST BULLET. This is much like POR15 but a top coat is not required. I left it like this for about 4 months.

Driversidebefore.jpg

Tonight I decided to tackle the diamond plate rocker covers. They are WAY long for the MJ, but almost perfect on a four door XJ. I positioned one end so it tucked up under the flair about 2". Then marked for the cuts at the beginning and ending of the door opening and then again at the end of the cab.

For the front cut its to remove the lip/fold that is the back side of the cap where it would screw to the back of the tail gate.
Frontcuts.jpg

In the door jamb area the lip of the diamond plate is a bit too much for the front portion of the door. So I just bent it up so it would ride up the vertical portion of the rocker. This allowed the whole panel to be tucked up nicely against the body for a nice tite fit.

At the rear of the door, I choose to just cut the lip and flatten the piece so the plate extends up higher on the body behind the door.
Behinddoorpieceaftflattening.jpg

At the end of the cab, I just cut to kinda match the contours of the cab.
Endofcabcut.jpg

Then I attached everything to the MJ using some BLACK Silicone at the door jambs and lotsa pop rivets!! You can see the area where I bent the lip up vertical so it fit tightly to the body. Its the forward portion under the hinges.

POPRIVETS.jpg

Here is the Pass side finished:

Passsidedone.jpg

Bottompoprivets.jpg

Here is the Drivers side all done:

Driverssidedone.jpg

I ran out of light so I do not have any really good shots in day light, but I like it and it looks very nice. Almost like they where made for this purpose!!

Took me about 3 hours start to finish.

NEXT will be the actual ROCKER PROTECTION!!! Gotta get some more stock. I need the 3" and 1" angle iron. then I can get going!

CW

PICS FIXED!!!

cwlongshot said:
Well,
I finally got around to bending some up to cover the holes. I need to do the lower portions of the bed, then paint everything black!

Diamondplate1.jpg

diamondplate2.jpg

I also built a new rear bumper!! It came out so good, I am making a front to match!!

rearview.jpg

Next is the new rear springs, ubolts and shocks!

CW

Back