• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bendix brakes...earlier replacement parts

scase86

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I was alwarmed to find out the 90 cherokee I recently got was plagued with such problems. after reading everything I would like to know the appropriate way to remove the old system and replace it with a more reliable better functioning system. for starters, how can I tell 100% if I have abs on my rig? is it standard in '90 or is it optional? also, what is involved in removing the system? I would like to replace it with an earlier unit mainly because the stopping power on my 87 is superb and the local Junkyard has plenty older (pre 90) xj's. with that said what parts would I need to replace? obviously I would need a standard brake booster, and probably all the hard line...anything else? I would really appriciate if soumeone could giveme a guidline on how to do the swap correclty. I would say I am mechanically inclinded but since I am messing with the brakes here I would like to have some 100 percent experience and knowhow involved. thanks guys.

Do a search on "removing ABS" and follow the instructions.

The basic hydraulics (which are Kelsey-Hayes, by the way) are quite good - but most early ABS systems are crap. (Come to think of it, I tend to think most ABS systems in general are crap.)

The good news is that you can ditch the electronics and get good brake function - and I think it's all of an after-noon's work. Check around, you'll find out. I know it's been covered here quite a few times...

5-90

YEAH I know its been covered, but I cant seem to figure out what ALL needs to be replaced. I have never done any brake conversions so even though the answers may be right in front of me it would be nice for some sure footed guidance. I have come to the conclusion that I need the brake booster and the master cylinder from the non abs vehicle. I also believe I will need the brake petalfrom the non abs vehicle as well. with these components in place I am pretty sure all I would need to do is replace the old ABS lines with the non ABS lines. after all that I think I can remove all the abs electronics as well, correct. Im not sure If I will need to convert to a larger rear cylinder or not though, any ideas? also, will I be able to remove all of the ABS electronics? I believe most if not all are under the rear seatso that should make it easy. If any of this iswrong or if I missed a step please let me know. Id hate to screw up something as important as my brakes.

What basically needs to happen is that the ABS electronics get removed from the system - that's anything with brake fluid going thru it. If you're just going to do that, don't forget to pull the ABS fuze (if nothing else needs it) and the indicator lamp in the dash, which will always be going off.

OR, just pull everything, and I think only a couple hardlines need replacing or re-bending, or something.

Tell ya what - look around, and find your favourite writeup. Once you do that, you can PM me the link and I'll peruse it for you (I'm still going to make you do the looking, since you want to do the job. None of my XJ's have ABS :paperwork ) and give you some pointers on anything you don't understand. I have no trouble with brake work - I just haven't needed to do this particular job.

I want you to find the writeup you like, since you're going to have to follow the directions while you're doing the work, and I want to be reasonably sure you undestand the directions.

NOTE - Any advice I give is just that - advice. You take any and all action at your own risk. Brake systems are not inherently complex, but you have to pay attention to what your doing, and test the system out before you "go live..."

5-90

Back