• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ all rear flares on XJs?

1st XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and found the links and pics of a XJ with all rear TJ flares on it. My question is do you have to cut your fenders? I also would like to know if the stock hardware (XJ) will work on the TJ flares? I hope it will look good sence I only have a 3.5 lift and 31x10.50-15. Any help would be appreciative.

I'm in the process of doing this as we speak -- so no pics or write up yet, although I am documenting and will write it up. As to cutting the flares, it depends on how into aesthetics you are. Mines a daily driver and I want it to look good, so I am cutting the flares to be used in front to match the body line at the bumper, and am also cutting them to match the plastic body detail/door guard at the back of the front flare (mines a 99). I'm going to be painting them to match the body color using chryco paint and plastic primer. I got collins bros. jeep in Wiley TX to ship me four used rears to coloraod for $85. They're in good condition, but only because I'll be painting them (faded take-offs). I'll post on here with a link to the write up when its done (probablly in a month or so...) :)

4.5 lift and 33's by the way

Yes, you have to cut your fenders.
No, the stock XJ hardware will not work.
What's the point of doing it if you only have 31" tires?

ditto what jes said -- I misread your question. If you aren't willing to trim metal, the flares will do you no good, other than some coverage. If you look carefully, the metal of the fender sticks out nearly as much as the flare, so moving or modifying the flare itself will gain you only a 1/2 inch or so...

do a search for "Less Limited"

try the mwc chapter or in the picture or event forums...

he runs TJ flares on all corners for better coverage while running 35's...

I like it more than running the ugly front TJ flares...

site1068.jpg

I think that if you cut a lot out of the backside of the flare you might be able too, but I think that you would need to cut off the bottom of the flare. Its easier to just hack the sheet metal while you are doing it anyways. The stock hardware wouldn't be strong enought to support the flares in my opinion. I used 3/8" and 5/16" hardware to attach mine.

588437_208_full.jpg

Link to thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57907

Link to write-up: www.cardomain.com/ride/588437/10

Jes said:
Yes, you have to cut your fenders.
No, the stock XJ hardware will not work.
What's the point of doing it if you only have 31" tires?
care to elaborate on whats the point?

i just used bolts and washers with a locknut and it works great

Ramsey said:
care to elaborate on whats the point?

i just used bolts and washers with a locknut and it works great

What's is the point in cutting your fenders and putting big flares on if you're running small tires? Keep the stock flares, they look better.
Ever look at a stock TJ? The flares look lame with the little stock tires.

i was running 3" and 31s and i had cut fenders to allow max up travel. i'll admit it did look funny w/ 31s then i goy my 33s and they seemed so big for a couple months, now things are looking small again.

Thanks for all of the opions, Thats what they are just an opion. Because I want to run 31's on my XJ just means I do not use it for the same thing as you. It is a daily driver and only transportation, just wanted to know if they would work with out cutting.

Thanks for your Opion!!!

Back