• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My setup tell me if im right. (Lots of Pictures)

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so im going to post some pictures of my front end on here. I for sure need a long arm kit and im saving for that right now. I also need a track bar because the one that is currently on there is to short (My new one is actually in route to my house as we speak). I know that I also need longer shocks because the ones that are on there are much to short. Ok so do you guys think that after i get a long arm kit, (track bar which is on the way) and longer shocks that my front end will be good to go? I have read, searched high and low and gather information to come up with this conclusion. Thanks for the help all. :us:

Oh yeah I also took someones advice on getting longer center pieces for my sway bar disconnect and it drives allot better now :) I made them from Home Depot plumbing product.

Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Your axle needs to be moved forward 2". You can fix that with decent suspension.

Your steering is maxed. You need a Tera or DEOR high steer knuckle. Then get a new track bar mount and move the trackbar up on the axle to match the angle of the new steering. Skyjackers trackbar mounts in the OEM steering stabilizer hole, but that, to me, is too weak to work for long. A JKS TB mount is perfect for the tera knuckle.

I see you didn't take my advice on drilling a new trackbar hole, so I don't even know why I'm trying to help you know. If you had done that instead of ordering a new trackbar, you wouldn't have to order YET ANOTHER track bar when your new steering knuckle shows up.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Your axle needs to be moved forward 2". You can fix that with decent suspension.

Your steering is maxed. You need a Tera or DEOR high steer knuckle. Then get a new track bar mount and move the trackbar up on the axle to match the angle of the new steering. Skyjackers trackbar mounts in the OEM steering stabilizer hole, but that, to me, is too weak to work for long. A JKS TB mount is perfect for the tera knuckle.

I see you didn't take my advice on drilling a new trackbar hole, so I don't even know why I'm trying to help you know. If you had done that instead of ordering a new trackbar, you wouldn't have to order YET ANOTHER track bar when your new steering knuckle shows up.

CRASH

Crash,

Thanks for the advice but i thought that it would just be easier for me to get a new track bar then to drill a hole and re-mount.

Would you please point me to the web site where i can check out this "high steer tera knuckle" Please. Is it just one part that will correct my steering?

So since im getting a new track bar that is going to be sufficient in length will there be anything else that i will have to get for it? Or will i still have to get a new mount to move the track bar up on the axel and if yes where? (web site please)

Jes said:
What you need to do is lose some lift.
That steering is maxed out just sitting there.

x2.

That TRE on the pitman arm is at 90% of usable range, and that is on level ground.

As for the trackbar, any type of OTK steering is going to require you to move the trackbar above the axle to line up with the drag link, so if you plan to stay this tall, your nifty new trackbar will be too long.

You just bought a longer trackbar, to center the axle, until the rest of your parts come in, so you can then need a shorter trackbar, because the over-axle mount is less of a span, dig?

BTW: Big lifts went out with powdered wigs.

Working well and looking good are rarely seen holding hands.

Take that for what its worth.

Last edited:
TheFortuneAteMySon said:
x2.

That TRE on the pitman arm is at 90% of usable range, and that is on level ground.

As for the trackbar, any type of OTK steering is going to require you to move the trackbar above the axle to line up with the drag link, so if you plan to stay this tall, your nifty new trackbar will be too long.

You just bought a longer trackbar, to center the axle, until the rest of your parts come in, so you can then need a shorter trackbar, because the over-axle mount is less of a span, dig?

BTW: Big lifts went out with powdered wigs.

Working well and looking good are rarely seen holding hands.

Take that for what its worth.

Yes i understand you. It's ok the new track bar was only 200 something. I don’t want to lower the lift to accommodate for the steering I want to make the steering accommodate the lift. I bought the jeep how it is not knowing much about it.

If i get the over the Axel track bar mount and searing knuckle will the steering be ok or not? That is the question. Where do you recommend i look for the over the axel mount and steering knuckle? I don’t even know what the frekin steering knuckle is.

the jam nut on the trackbar is at the wrong end, the joint it threaded on, so the the nut has to be up tight to the joint, right??? and do you have a drop pitman arm?

mack said:
the jam nut on the trackbar is at the wrong end, the joint it threaded on, so the the nut has to be up tight to the joint, right??? and do you have a drop pitman arm?

You're right.

Jes said:
You're right.

Ok well were not worried about that right now. Can someone let me know if there is a kit that i can get that will have a over the axel track bar mount and the other parts that i would need to correct the steering, please. I need to get this Jeep done before i get married October 1st because i will be for 1 getting married and 2 buying a condo so yeah i wont have money after that :chef:

well...you should be worried about that, when it's stripped you will., just tryin to help ya.
fdsa487 said:
Ok well were not worried about that right now. Can someone let me know if there is a kit that i can get that will have a over the axel track bar mount and the other parts that i would need to correct the steering, please. I need to get this Jeep done before i get married October 1st because i will be for 1 getting married and 2 buying a condo so yeah i wont have money after that :chef:

fdsa487 said:
Can you please help me all knowledgeable one.

It would be way easier and cheaper to lower your rig than try and make the D30 steering work good.
To get it to work good will require welding and some custom fabrication.
If you want to waste your money there is a (sort of)bolt on option...
http://www.downeastoffroad.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DEO&Category_Code=STHISTE
...you'd still need a custom trac bar and axle end trac bar bracket.

Oh, and here is the axle bracket you'd need...
http://www.jksmfg.com/fab_parts-920.htm

Last edited:
These are high steer arms,the tie rod is over the steering knuckles.This is a Dana 44.Your trac bar and drag link look like they are on f-ed up angles,they should be parallel with each other.That will help prevent DW.It does look like lowering it will help a ton.The arms look maxed out also.
stuff005.jpg

Jes said:
It would be way easier and cheaper to lower your rig than try and make the D30 steering work good.
To get it to work good will require welding and some custom fabrication.
If you want to waste your money there is a (sort of)bolt on option...
http://www.downeastoffroad.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DEO&Category_Code=STHISTE
...you'd still need a custom trac bar and axle end trac bar bracket.

Oh, and here is the axle bracket you'd need...
http://www.jksmfg.com/fab_parts-920.htm

Wow! $1,000 dollars for a bolt on kit and like you said it wont even be eveything i need. Ok well if the springs in there are Rustys 8.5"-9" lift springs what others would you suggest? What about a 6" lift spring?

Also what if i didn't fix my steering? What would happen? It drives fine now, a little bumpy but that's it. No death wobble.

fdsa487 said:
Wow! $1,000 dollars for a bolt on kit and like you said it wont even be eveything i need. Ok well if the springs in there are Rustys 8.5"-9" lift springs what others would you suggest? What about a 6" lift spring?

Also what if i didn't fix my steering? What would happen? It drives fine now, a little bumpy but that's it. No death wobble.

Get some Rubicon Express 4.5" ZJ springs.
It's not advisable to run more than about 5"s of lift with stock steering.

If you don't fix the steering?
The tie rod ends will wear out rather quickly and if you actually take it off road and flex it up you'll likely bend the drag link or break the drag link end at the pitman arm.

As for the jam-nut on the track bar, just screw it the other way.
Believe it or not, people are trying to help.
IMO, You have no business with 8-9" lift if you don't know what a knuckle is, how a jam nut works, or have a rudimentary knowledge of steering angles.
No offense, but I call it like I see it.
Save the longarm money, lower the XJ to 5", and make nice with a sawzall.
You can use your current control arms, steering, track bar, etc.
Sell those coils and get some ZJ 3 or 4.5" coils, which will give you 4-6" lift or so.
Don't toss money at a problem and hope for the best.
Lowering your Jeep does not simultaneously shrink your manhood, contrary to childish belief.
To properly lift an XJ over 6", you will often spend more than you did on the rig itself.
Sorry, these aren't the 'rules' but more of the 'experiences'.
Learn from someone(everyone) else's costly mistakes.
Evolve, rather than mincing because someone's roofline is higher than yours.
[/rant]

Jes said:
Get some Rubicon Express 4.5" ZJ springs.
It's not advisable to run more than about 5"s of lift with stock steering.

If you don't fix the steering?
The tie rod ends will wear out rather quickly and if you actually take it off road and flex it up you'll likely bend the drag link or break the drag link end at the pitman arm.

My gawd, you must be feeling helpful today! Did you get a little action last night? :D

FDSA, lower your rig. Use the RE ZJ 4.5" springs. Your steering angles will improve, as will your control arm angles, making the long arms a luxury and not a must-have item.

If you are set on the big lift, $1,000 is going to seem like a pittance. The DEO components will fix your steering if you do the JKS bracket with it.

May I suggest taking your rig to a reputable company like MIT to install all this stuff? They are local to you, and will do all the proper welding, etc. They know what a steering knuckle is.

Back