• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid wipers

black93xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what wears out in the wipers that makes them hit the windshild frame and not park right all of the time?

It's the bushings in the linkage under the cowl. I just replaced mine, because it was doing the same thing. You can't get the bushing from the stealership, at least for the '93 xj. The bushing are sold at Autozone, Advance, etc. in the HELP packages. There is about 10 bushings of different sizes in the package, but you only need 3 of them. About $4 and 30 minutes of time and you are back in business.

HELP! Part Number 49445. There are 6 bushings in the package, three each of two types. Use the three smaller ones. Nobody seems to know what the other three are for. Pay not attention to the year range on the back of the package, it works for all XJs and MJs.

Have you recently put on new wiper blade assemblies ? B/c if you put them on the wrong way, the "arc" of the wiper arm will be about an inch longer than it should, causing the wiper to hit the window surround.... FWIW, I changed all of my bushings and it did take some of the slack out of the arms, but it really didn't make that big of a difference to the overall "strength" of the sweep IMHO.

FWIW, if you do change out the bushings, firstly, just remember the way that you take the wiper motor & arms out of the recess that it sits in under the front window - it can be a nuisance to get it back in - just be patient otherwise you'll end up bending the arms that are attached to the motor. Secondly, don't forget to put a dab of some lithium grease in the new bushings - that'll help prevent them getting worn out too soon.

Further to your other question, I'm still trying to figure out why sometimes my wipers park and sometimes they don't - just like how the intermittent sweep will start working after about 10 minutes of the wipers being on....

Back