• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Cable interchange?

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
Tried posting this yesterday but it never showed up.

Throttle cable is broke on our '89 4.0. Will any XJ cable work or do I need a specific one. I have 3 2.5 cables but no 4.0's. Thanks in advance.

Any throttle cable from an 87-90 non-HO 4.0 will work. If the 2.5 throttle body pulls the throttle cam towards the driver then it should also work. Later 4.0's have a longer throttle cable that pulls the cam towards the passenger side of the vehicle. This cable MAY work but will have alot of slack in it. I'd try the 2.5 cables and see how well they work. It's a 5 minute job to swap the cables.

2.5 and 4.2 use some of the same cables, you'll want one for a 4.0, there are two different ones depending on the type of pedal you have. When I bought a new one it didn't match up with the old ond, I ran the numbers and found that the old one had been replaced....with one for a cherokee (full size), it worked but really didn't fit right. New OEM was real cheap and piece of cake to install. OEM# for my application was 5300 5201

kunaji said:
Any throttle cable from an 87-90 non-HO 4.0 will work. If the 2.5 throttle body pulls the throttle cam towards the driver then it should also work. Later 4.0's have a longer throttle cable that pulls the cam towards the passenger side of the vehicle. This cable MAY work but will have alot of slack in it. I'd try the 2.5 cables and see how well they work. It's a 5 minute job to swap the cables.

Actually, not quite so. I found that the cable on the 87 was different from that on an 89, owing to a slightly different gas pedal, so in order to use the 89 cable I had to transplant the pedal too. My memory is fading, but as I recall, the 89 cable had a longer cable length relative to the sheath, so it wouldn't open the throttle all the way.

Back