• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C to OBA w/out tank

BrentNClemson

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I've spent a good amount of time researching turning the stock A/C compressor into an oba setup, but still have a few questions.

Eventually I will plumb a small tank into the system to use for air tools, but for now I just want to use it w/out a tank to fill up tires on the trail. What needs to be done differently if I'm not going to use an air tank?

I'm planning on running hose from the exhaust of the compressor to an oil filter/separator, then to a safety pop-off valve, then have a quick connect and a pressure switch. Which should go first, pressure switch or quick connect? And how will this work...will the compressor quickly pressurize the airhose, cutoff, and then cut back on when I start to put air in the tires?

How much did it cost you to have the freon taken out of the system? Lastly, any pictures showing how you mounted the lines, pressure switch, filter would be great...thanks a lot!!

BrentNClemson said:
Hey guys, I've spent a good amount of time researching turning the stock A/C compressor into an oba setup, but still have a few questions.

Do more:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php?searchid=520637
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=421179&postcount=1

BrentNClemson said:
I'm planning on running hose from the exhaust of the compressor to an oil filter/separator, then to a safety pop-off valve, then have a quick connect and a pressure switch. Which should go first, pressure switch or quick connect? And how will this work...will the compressor quickly pressurize the airhose, cutoff, and then cut back on when I start to put air in the tires?
Filter - Safety - switch- Quick connect

Put an oiler on the input...the stock compressor needs oil.

Yes...it will pressurize the hose then shut off

BrentNClemson said:
How much did it cost you to have the freon taken out of the system? Lastly, any pictures showing how you mounted the lines, pressure switch, filter would be great...thanks a lot!!

Pics in threads above, it did not cost me anything to remove the freon...it leaked out.

GET A TANK! You will want one as soon as you start using your air.

Rev

Thanks Rev, I had looked at your pics before and got some good ideas for mounting. Just wanted to be sure that everything would be ok w/out a tank for a while. I'll definitely install one in the future...thanks again.

Got 1 more question, haven't seen the answer to this yet.

I know some people have cut the existing A/C hose and connected air hose to it...but instead of using any air hose at all, can I use just this existing A/C hose and run it straight to the pressure switch and other connections? I know it holds compressed R12 okay, but this wouldn't compress nearly as much as air does...or does it? I'm just not sure about the pressure rating of that hose... any thoughts?

i have everything plumbed to a kilby ent manifold w/ a quick disconnect fitting and i just bring a portable tank with me when i go wheelin (for now) i just plug a hose from the tank to the manifold and another from the tank to my tool, airchuck, whatever.

That may be what I'll end up doing...I figure the compressor alone can handle tires, but I'll use a tank for air tools eventually. Do you have just one line going into the tank for input and output?

Back