• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC cycles

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed with my 98 XJ my ac compressor will cycle on and off every few seconds when im at an idle. It always blew cold until yesterday i noticed it blew warm/maybe cool air. I also noticed the cycling had longer intervals so I checked the ac system to see if it was charged and it was. Anyone know what it could be? I'm not sure if its relevant but I recently had my alternator checked at advanced auto and it read 13 amps(lowwww). I didnt believe it and just kept driving it and now my needle rests just below 14 volts, when it used to be at 14. The reason I asked, I read an older thread on the ac might cycle like that if its not getting enough power.. I duno..

fsm says rapid compressor clutch cycling (ten or more times per minute) is most of the time caused by low refrigerant system charge. the alternator thing seems like a possibility but Im no A/C expert so Ill leave it at that...

had the same problem on mine. worked fine for a couple of weeks, then one day it just quit blowing cold and started cycling a ton. Recharged it and all is good now.

Back