• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear oil and coolant leak, UHHH!

ylojrzy

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 89 xj, 4.0, manual tranny. I bought it from the original owner. It had a small "oil leak". I did the valve cover when I did some pcv lines. I parked it in the driveway with a drip pan under it. Turns out my "oil leak" is actually gear lube and a coolant leak. The spots land in the same area, in front of the tranny. My tranny is COVERD in gear oil. Being an xj newbie, my question is where would I start totrack this down. Also, where would that coolant be coming from on the back of the motor. My motor oil is not milky, so I don't think its a head gasket issue. Well, not internally anyway. Thanks so much for the help! Jeff.
ps, If anyone is in the Tucson area and has any ideas you can call me on my cell also. 661-3264

heater core? and front seal on the tranny?

is the coolant coming from the passenger side frame or dripping down the engine block? get under there and look! smell any coolant in your cab? etc.

bring a set of ramps to the local coin-op car wash and wash the outside of the tranny off if its too dirty to determine a source, but its probably coming out of the bottom of the bellhousing, which would mean a new front seal is in order.

Ok, as for the gear oil, had it up on a rack today. It was mentioned by a friend that it is probably the front seal. I have a tranny on the way from a wrangler. Problem is the owner is deployed to Iraq and won't be back for 7 or 8 months. So, I just have to keep lube in it until then. I feel better now about that.

As for the coolant, It is coming down in the middle of the xj. No smell of it in the cab. I have rubber floors so I can't feel the carpet like I did in my S-10 when that heater core gave up the ghost. That doesn't mean the coolant cant travel to the lowest point then fall. The lines to the left of the valve cover are the ones for the heater core right (they go into the fire wall)?

Thanks Goodburbon. Jeff

yeah thats them, and yes the fluid will find the lowest point to drip from, but your ac evap coil drain is in the passenger side frame rail.

just asking the "is it plugged in" questions.

you could bypass the heater core by runniing the hoses to each other, then see if you still have the coolant.

by the way dont let your floor get water in it, it gets septic and will funk up the jeep in a hurry.

Back