• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie here

Big Red Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
just checking in, found out about this web site from a friend of mine. My question is about do some rebuilding. I own a 2WD Comanche with the 4.0L and Standard 5 speed. What i want to do is convert it to a 4X4. Do i need to get a hole new tranny wit transfer case or can i bolt a transfer case up to the existing tranny? Second If i can just bolt the transfer case on does it matter if it comes off a automatic trans or not. I have wanted to do this since i have owned the truck just have not had that much to time to work on it. Next question, I currently have what i think is a 3" lift on it. Was on there when I bought it and the previous owner did not know. I am running 33x12.5x15 on the stock wagon wheel rims but it rubs a little on the front when in sharp turns at low speeds. It rubs on the (I do not know what is called) arm that goes from the body to the front axle. Is it advantageous to get a hole new lift kit or shoud i ust piece things togather to make this one work to eliminate the rubbing. And lastly I seem to b getting oil blowback into my air filter. I have replaced the PCV vallves and tubing but i still get it and sometimes ther is a strong oil smell in the cabin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hop to have fun in this forum and meet new people.
Eric

you will need the tail cone from a 4x4 as they are different

As for rubbing on the control arms *that's what they are called* All you need are some new wheels that are set farther outwards. Get some with about 3.25" of backspacing, and you won't rub. As for your lift, it should be more like 5" if you are running 33's. Do you have any pictures of it we can see?

yea i have some pictures, I will need to download them from my other computer so i will post them later. What exactly is the tail cone from a 4X4 and are you telling me that with this I can use my existing Tranny?
Eric

need the end of a 4x4 tranny, not they whole thing. you can try searching on this site for some detailed info

Big Red Comanche said:
yea i have some pictures, I will need to download them from my other computer so i will post them later. What exactly is the tail cone from a 4X4 and are you telling me that with this I can use my existing Tranny?
Eric

With the work involved, it is MUCH easier to find a 4x4 AW4 and swap the whole thing in IMO............ :lecture:

Edit: Ax-15 in this case?

Ramsey said:
you will need the tail cone from a 4x4 as they are different
and disassemble(rebuild,while youre there) the tranny to install it.I think most here will agree,buy a 4x4XJ and just swap out the parts.The conversion is alot harder/more expensive than most imagine.Axles,driveshafts,shift linkages,etc.You can pick-up an entire XJ easily for alot less.

I just looked at my spare -automatic- trannies (one is 2WD and the other is 4WD)

The 2wd has a "tailcone" similar to the rear cone on a 4WD transfer case. this accepts a slip yoke mounted to the driveshaft.

The 4wd has a much shorter housing than the 2wd, that allows the transfer case to bolt up. What I am not sure of is if the 2wd tranny has a long mainshaft or just an extension of the mainshaft that accepts the slip yoke. IF it is the latter, I'd suspect that you could convert it to 4wd... IF NOT, find a 4WD transmission and transfer case FROM A COMPATIBLE YEAR jeep and swap them entirely.

You will also need the transfer case shifter, linkage, brackets and the driveshafts (+ the front axle) from the 4WD donor...

If you are lucky and have a 91-92 4.0l MJ...these have the AX15 manual trans... if not and you have the 4.0, you have the sorry peugot BA10 which isn't worth messing with at all... find a 91+ with the AX15 if you swap.

If you have a 2.5l 4cyl, I cant help any further, since I have no knowlege there.

There are a few writeups here and there that do a good job explaining the changeover - but the easiest way to do it is to have a donor vehicle (you should be able to use XJ parts from the same bracket - 87-90 or 91-96) and just grab everything off of the donor and swap it in.

The 2WD tailshaft housing is conical, and rather longer than the 4WD version. There is no provision to bolt a transfer case to a 2WD transmission without swapping the tailshaft and the tailshaft housing - which is close enough to rebuilding the transmission (it all comes out the front) to where you'd just as well do the rebuild while you were in there.

Also, you'll need a new rear driveshaft (the 4WD one is shorter, due to the tcase) and the front driveshaft.

The front suspensions are damn near the same - you can bolt the front axle right in once you get the 2WD beam or whatever out of the way (I've not looked under a 2WD XJ/MJ anytime recently, and all my XJ's are 4WD.)

You can also swap in a 4WD drivetrain centred on the AX15 or NV3550 5-speed manual, if you don't mind adding in the clutch pedal and hydraulics on the swap. I'd have to check (what year is your MJ?) because you might need to grab the ECM as well - but I could be wrong. Again, knowing the year will tell me, because I can then dig up my interchange guide and look.

Meanwhile, welcome aboard - and if you're going to be selling that MJ anytime, sell it here. We've got a bunch of people trying to keep the old MJ's alive!

5-90

Thanks all for all the input, please keep it coming. It is a red 88 with the pioneer package. I do not plan on selling it anytime soon, My wife loves it too much and it has been too reliable to let go.

You have to have the pictures hosted online some where first and then post a link to them or if they allow it, put the URL or address between image tags like this

What you might consider doing is purchasing a rolled/wrecked XJ that has all of the parts you require for the conversion. That's exactly what I did for my MJ 2x to 4x conversion, and it saved me a bunch of time and money. Not only will you have all of the parts you think you'll need, you'll also have all the parts you had no idea you'd need...all in a Cherokee sized box! :D

This is not any real practical info for BigRedChero but I thought I would pimp a pic of my Comanche that started life as 2wd.
IMG_0471.jpg

Back