• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HEADS UP! poss. front brake caliper recall

jeepkid2000

NAXJA Member # 1494
check with your local dealer next month on any recalls on jeep brake calipers. they will probably be recalling some due to brakes locking up.

this is good since i need/want new brakes...

great...odds are they won't cover the rotors, or pads. And you'll have to pay for them yourself.

ODD that after being out of production for 3.5 yrs, they just now do a recall.

I don't know about lock-ups, but I had one of the caliper mounting bolts break. I went to put new disc pads on and found a missing bolt. It must have been broken for months, as the pads were worn unevenly. Glad to say I'm still here. They have different bolts now. I might have over tightened them with the last pad install. The specs say to check for bolts that have lenghtened too much, so it seems there is a lot stress on them. I had to drill the piece of bolt and back it out. It only asked for 11 ft/lbs of torque to tighten them.
Walt

Actually, if there is an issue with the calipers not freeing up, there's a pretty GOOD chance they'll cover rotors and pads too. GM paid for a new set of pads, rotors and calipers on my 84 Fiero GT when the pads were wearing unevenly. The recall specifically stated to replace all parts that were worn down or unevenly.

Where did you find this out from?

I don't have a problem with my front brakes...except the squeeling...but thats just cheap brakes. My problem is the drums lock up instantly when the pedal is applied while they're wet or cold. Still can't figure out what thats about.

as far as the rears locking up, cut the drums. They might be out of round. I was having the same problems. After cutting the drums I haven't had any lock ups

cs109c2 said:
as far as the rears locking up, cut the drums. They might be out of round. I was having the same problems. After cutting the drums I haven't had any lock ups

I'll have to give that a try. It all seemed to have started after I was coming back from the do it yourself car wash one day. I blasted the underneath pretty good to clean it, noticed alot of brake dust coming out of the rear drums and on the way home they locked up the whole way. I'm figuring i just knocked a bunch of dirt loose in there and I plan on taking them apart soon to thoroughly clean them.

Would still like to know the years this particular recall might affect.

I didn't say it had everything. I just posted it about the brakes.

EDIT: That site also doesn't mention that only those with manufactured dates from 07/01/1995-10/15/1998 are covered by the brake recall.

I know. I just wanted to point out that it didn't have all the recalls in case someone decided to use that site as their only reference. Prolly best to contact the dealer.

rumblebelly, what's the other recall you had on your 2000? I only got the one listed on that website.

thanks.

LRRH said:
rumblebelly, what's the other recall you had on your 2000? I only got the one listed on that website.

thanks.

Here are both of my recalls:

1. Recall # 8591 reprogram P.C.M. (power control module)
2. Recall # B06 Intake manifold debris shield

Hey, Rumblebelly. I've checked a couple of other sites, as well, and they all only list one actual recall for 2000. Are you sure you're not thinking of TSBs as recalls? I only ask because as a librarian I have access to several very up-to-date auto. databases that the public can only access while at a library and they all match the public one I linked to.

Both of them were actual recalls that the dealer performed for me earlier this year. I think they were both done in April.

I'm not sure why it's not on the websites.

DC has a lot of 'quiet' recalls, gas tanks in 95 and/or 96 was one. The plastic they used in some runs was mixed, blended, whatever plastic does, wrong and over a 3 year period the gas would break down the plastic, plug the fuel pump with a nasty black goo and take out the pump. If you replaced the pump it would do it again pretty quick. Had a coworker at lucent that had this happen to, he went thru 3 or 4 pumps in a week at a local repair shop before the repair shop decided to replace the tank and called the jeep dealer for a new tank. Jeep dealer quietly shipped a new tank, new pump and picked up the labor, towing and the cost of the other pumps.
They have also had 'quiet' recalls that I know about on ZJ and WJ's, ZJ's for the evaportator in the heater box leaking and the WJ's for bent rear axle housings and cutting lube contaminated transfer cases. I know the jeep dealer that I used to use had a mountain of aluminum D44's that they put a fence around and a few of those temporary car port tents to keep em out of sight. They also had a couple of those cargo containers full of new ones right down to brakes already installed and ready to bolt up.
The fuel pump sending unit still ticks me off, mine was built in sep 97 and sold as a 98. The sender recall only covers 97 and I can almost 99.9% guarantee I have the same sender as the 97's got..

As for the brakes recall, I had new rotors back about 3 years go under that and am in the process of replacing my rotors either today or tomorrow. The ONE TIME I did not retorque the lugs after getting new tires from a shop that used a torque stick on the gorilla gun my friggin rotors warped... now I'll get to see how well those cryo'd rotors work...just need to run out for some new pads but then comes the question, should I wait for this possible recall....decisions decisions....

Last edited:
rumblebelly said:
Both of them were actual recalls that the dealer performed for me earlier this year. I think they were both done in April.

I'm not sure why it's not on the websites.
You, Sir, are correct. I'll be sending an e-mail to at least one of the databases I get through work about correcting this. And RichP, yeah, Chrysler has seemingly always been fond of "secret" warranties and so on. My wife and I got reimbursed about 60% for a new head gasket for her Dodge Neon five years after the replacement. It took so long because we didn't know about it back then and our mechanic at the time, a retired Jeep employee, never bothered to tell us we might be able to do that. He later said he hadn't thought of it.

Do we have any idea where the source of this is? anyone from inside DC leaking it out... im sure it iwll not cover the renix era that had amc calipers

Back