• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frontend wobbles when appling brakes

Jeepsr4me

NAXJA Forum User
When i apply brakes the frontend shakes. It does not do it every time but 70% of the time. I have checked the steering links and joints and all appear tight. I jacked up front and let hang and had someone move the steering back and forth and all was tight. The only movement was in the steering box at the pitman arm when steering back and forth there was a 1/4 inch play from one direction to the other. The tires have perfect wear and does not pull or anything strange while driving. Only during braking.

xjnation You may be right. No signs of warped rotor. The brake petal has not plused. Its nice and smooth. I did notice that the upper controll arm bushing had a dark spot on it near the mounting bolt. I thought it was normal due to the action of the axle moving up and down. Where did you get those bushings from and what is the cost?

Jeepsr4me said:
xjnation You may be right. No signs of warped rotor. The brake petal has not plused. Its nice and smooth. I did notice that the upper controll arm bushing had a dark spot on it near the mounting bolt. I thought it was normal due to the action of the axle moving up and down. Where did you get those bushings from and what is the cost?

Mako off ebay, shipping can be a little slow the cost is right and their design reuses the metal sleeve on the axle so you can install in the driveway without a press. just burn or drill out the existing rubber and install the new pieces.

mako on ebay

Im ordering another set today as I write this

I fixed it. Sorry for the delay. Working sucks. Well i went the cheapest and easiest first. I looked at the brake pads after removing the wheels. The outside pad was worn twice as much as the inside one. And the leading edge on the outside one was thicker than the back part. Like the back part was grabing first. I noticed the little paws that hold the pad to the brake caliper bracket was not the same. Like the one for the right side and left were on the wrong side. I had a hell of a time getting the caliper off. The pads have a little v grove on one side to hold themselves to the bracket. I always put both of those groves together. That way i can wedge the caliper back on.i replaced just he outside pads as a experiment and drove around and no more wobble. I then turned the rotors and there was no runout to speak of. Then replaced the brake pads. I love stopping now. Could the pads have been the problem?

Back