• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny help!!

Jeepkid444

NAXJA Forum User
ok do i use a 94+ pilot bearing or do i use the 88 pilot bearing i am switching from the pueget tranny to the ax 15 and converting to external slave.
( only posted this cuz i live in evergreen and work in town so i can look at it or try it)
thanx any help is greatly appricated

I did this swap a year or more ago but I think I ended up using a cj pilot bearing. You shouldn’t need a flywheel. If you search a year and a half ago for my posts you will find quite a bit of info. I should have time to get you the cj you need tonight but it is in one of those threads for when I did it if you want to look.

Use a pilot bushing from a 73-75 CJ5 with a 304. It fits perfectly and costs about $1.99 at Autozone. Keep your stock 88' flywheel and use a clutch from an AX-15. I ordered a clutch for a mid 90's AX-15 XJ and it works fine. If you want to easily hook up the AX external slave cylinder to your existing master, use Advance Adapters braided line kit:

http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/t28.html

It's far superior to the factory plastic line and will allow you to replace the master/slave individually instead of buying the $$$ all-in-one kit from the dealer.

For the tranny mount, you can either modify the Peugot mount and keep the crossmember in the stock position or pick up a later model AX-15 mount plate/rubber mount that bolts right on but need to move the crossmember back about 4". The holes should already be in the unibody 4" back, just need to be tapped with 10mm x 1.5 pitch thread. This is what I did.

I have a few pics if you'd like to see them. Just PM me your email.

Back