• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow package

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

My Daughter rolled my '88XJ. Now I'm buying a new one. I've found a few in the 1996 year range that don't have the tow package. Can I move the package from the wrecked '88 to something like a '96? What has to move?

Thanks!
Mike

well... if you're lucky. maybe your 88 has a d44 rear (that I'd move, but make sure that the gears ratios match).... then move the hitch and if you have the electric brake controller move that as well...

I think that about covers it......

Kejtar

Obviously, the hitch has to move. You may need at least the driver's side nut strip to install the hitch in the new one. As Matthew mentioned, the tranny cooler for sure. I assume the '96 has a/c so it will already have a heavy-duty radiator.

The one thing I'm not certain about is the rear springs. Does anyone know if the spring rate is higher with a tow package? It was a non-issue on my '88 because I paid for a heavy-duty suspension option on top if the tow package and got better front springs and shocks, too. My rear springs are heavier than stock but I don't know if I would have gotten them with "just" the tow package.

ummmm Eagle... don't you think that even if the 88 has higher/heavier duty suspension and shocks they'd be a bit worn by now?

Kejtar

Eagle said:
Obviously, the hitch has to move. You may need at least the driver's side nut strip to install the hitch in the new one. As Matthew mentioned, the tranny cooler for sure. I assume the '96 has a/c so it will already have a heavy-duty radiator.

The one thing I'm not certain about is the rear springs. Does anyone know if the spring rate is higher with a tow package? It was a non-issue on my '88 because I paid for a heavy-duty suspension option on top if the tow package and got better front springs and shocks, too. My rear springs are heavier than stock but I don't know if I would have gotten them with "just" the tow package.

Your 88 is a stick, though, isn't it? That means that the "tow package" you got was the bumper hitch, which did not include heavier springs. My ex had an 88 with the same option, and it was just the hitch and wiring. Had 10-slot wheels with 205 tires, too. I believe that the heavy duty tow package that included the receiver hitch and cooler, and came only on automatics, did include slightly stiffer springs (or so my local junkyard's parts references suggest). Whether at this age it's worth swapping springs is, of course, a question, but since it doesn't take stock springs long to sag, it might still be worth considering some kind of upgrade on the new vehicle.

Bought a '92 Larado

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned it is an '88 XJ I6 with A/C and Auto Tranny.

I purchased a '92 XJ to replace it. This '92 has a tow package, auto trans and A/C. Looks just like mine. I haven't taken possession of the vehicle just yet but I'll have a look for the trans cooler. I have Rancho heavy duty springs on my '88 that I'll be moving to the '92 so that will answer the spring problem.

One feature I've noticed: the '88 has a switch that I think says something like 'comfort/power' that connects to the trans computer. In 'power' mode the trans shifts at different RPM than it does in 'comfort' mode. The new '92 does not have this switch. Anyone know why no switch in the younger vehicle? Can mine be moved and wired in?

Thanks!

When Chysler dropped the Comfort/Power switch, the default setting became "power" -- no need to move the switch.

Back