• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mismatched gears-permenantly?

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a hp d44 and ford 9" both out of a big bronco. I'd like to run 5.38 gears in the d44, but there aren't any matching gears available for the 9" that I can find. The best I could do is 5.33 or 5.43 from Yukon. I've done some searching but all I can find are threads about mixing 3.54/3.55 and 4.10/4.11 gears. Am I going to be O.K. running gears that are 5 hundredths off of eachother and if so, which set would you suggest for the 9"? Thanks!

It's done all the time, you'll be fine.

CRASH

Grizzley said:
I've always heard that you need to stay within 1/100th. You may find you have some binding in the drivetrain. . .

SPOBI on myself. Need to pm a few people about info I got when changing axles. Here's a quote from Randy's with the math:

1 point difference in ratio is equal to 1%. To find the percentage difference in ratios it is necessary to divide, not subtract. In order to find the difference, divide one ratio by the other and look at the numbers to the right of the decimal point to see how far they vary from 1.00. For example: 3.54 ÷ 3.50 = 1.01, or 1%, not 4% different. And likewise 4.11 ÷ 4.09 = 1.005, or only a 1/2% difference. These differences are about the same as a 1/3" variation in front to rear tire height, which probably happens more often than we realize.

The page is here explaining a lot more.

http://www.ringpinion.com/content/technicalhelp/default.asp?pid=111

Good info Crash and Yota, my bad. :gag:

Back