• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front speaker placement

hey i am thinkin about takin the doors off my 00, and that was one of my questions also (especailly since my driverside door speaker doesn't work at the moment w/ the doors in)..any way i was thinkin about getting a nice cheap set from best buy and mounting the driverside one up farther in the kick panel where the electric disco for the door is, and then if i could the right speaker(preferably a thin one) i'd mount it up under the glove box. it might hang down a lil but i can live with it, aint my butt sitting over there anyway... just some ideas .......
Maier

i use to have some 6x9's under my front seats of my 99

dude?

I have some 6x9s laying between the seats and doors frames on mine. You might want to zip-tie them to the seat frame, other wise they can tear the hell out of your arm if you lay your xj on its side.

Tweeters on each corner of the dash could be a solution, but I don't really know how much bass you want. For that, maybe a sub in the rear quarter panel, but then everything just gets too expensive

I just do without, the backs work just fine. If your wheeling with the doors off, why would you want to listen to anything BUT the Jeep?

If you really wanted to, you could mount a set of cheap surface mounts on the front of the front seat brackets.

Rev

Haven't really looked at my '98, but can ya do something like the early XJ's in the lower part of the dash. I know my '88 has slots and mounts for some little speakers down by your knees.

Get you some nice sounding 6" two-ways and mount them in the lower door panel.......oh, yah, I see the problem here.

How about this idea? Rock on, Treble Rebel.....

console3.jpg

i agree, mount some speakers on the b pillar you could get some sweet 4.5" up there, i have 2.5" tweets mounted to my pillar i'll try to get a pic.
if you mount under the seat you won't hear them any better than the rear sound bar.

ferday said:
i agree, mount some speakers on the b pillar you could get some sweet 4.5" up there, i have 2.5" tweets mounted to my pillar i'll try to get a pic.
if you mount under the seat you won't hear them any better than the rear sound bar.
not true. i had a 100watt amp on my 2 6x9's under the seat and they were quite loud. without the seat to muffle some they would have been too loud.

JohnJohn said:
Since taking off the doors on my XJ I have no front speaker. I know I should have that about that beforehand...blah, blah.

Anyway where can I mount some new ones? I don't think there is enough room under the seats...

Ideas? pics?

Thanks,

or you could do something really slick... keep the speakers in your doors and then make yourself some nice half doors (just as good as doorless, but it looks better and keeps your junk from flying out on the highway

JohnJohn said:
Since taking off the doors on my XJ I have no front speaker. I know I should have that about that beforehand...blah, blah.

Anyway where can I mount some new ones? I don't think there is enough room under the seats...

Ideas? pics?

Thanks,

Same dilema...

I moved my speakers to the kick panels...

all good now...

only problem is that when doorless...

not loud enough on the highway... (for me at least :D)

need more/bigger amps!

I think I am going to run around to the junk yard and try to find some Mazda Miata seats. If I remember, from having one in college, they have speakers in the head rests and they are pretty darn comfortable. I think some models didn't have speakers, but you can unzip the headrest and pull out the extra foam and pop some in....hmmm

Back