• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's 4.5'' lift poll

ChandlerXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know 100 people will say search for this, but none of this information is located on the same post. Does anyone have this kit? Full packs? AAL? Did you need any additional parts... ala SYE? Will I need a SYE? What year was your XJ? Do you like the lift? Etc...?

I used most of the lift for a while, but have since replaced the control arms and rear packs. The lower control arms it comes with are very stout, but it does not replace the upper arms, which can be a problem with harder offroading, which is why I replaced all 4. The rear packs have since been renovated by Rusty in order to prevent sag, but I had the older packs, which ended up sagging, so I can't help you there. Otherwise, the kit is great, and flexes really well.
0444423-R1-031-14.jpg

0333323-R1-013-5.jpg

p.s.
I ended up needing an SYE to replace the tcase drop

i'm running the 4.5" leaf pack kit from rusty's, i'm just running the shims and t.c. drop kit. i have the sye and shaft just no time to install them yet.

i have some vibes at 20-30 mph but other then that the vibes aren't bad.

i'd get the sye if you can afford it.

i like the kit alot, i had his 3" on my old xj. the 4.5" kit rides a lot nicer and it's not as stiff. i have his upper arms and hd trac bar with the frame mount. my xj is a 96 and it's auto.

Last edited:
What year XJ and what's the spec on it?
I run Rusty's set up on mine and I like it alot. I would steer away from AAL kits as they don't tend to last as long and most people I have heard say that start to get major sag in about a year when wheelin' it. AALs tend to be a PITA and since you have to pretty much take the springs out anyways I would go full packs. As far as a SYE kit goes you may just want to see how yours is without it. The newer models (97 and up) tended to get the vibes more than the olders. I think it has to do with the combo of the 231 and C 8.25 but I'm not sure. I put in a Tom Woods SYE kit and I'm happy with it. Also I would consider a new trackbar and mount too. Better than just a relocation bracket. Some people go with a drop pitman arm as well. Good advice on getting new upper CAs too. Whatever you do though make sure to get an alignment once your done. I know I get mine done at Firestone which has a Lifetime for about $130 or so. I got mine two years ago when it was only $99 and I have had it done 8 times since. That's money well spent.

I put the rusty's 4.5" on my '89 xj. Go with the full rear packs! I also got a long travel slip yoke from rusty's. It along with the T-case drop and the rear axle shims seem to work fine for me. I really like the kit as a whole. I'd recomend it!

i have a 97 xj... yeah i wanted to get a 3-4.5'' lift with everything i need, i don't really want to have to buy parts here and parts there... i hope ill be ok with the rustys, if i can wait on the sye then i will, but im nervous!!!

I'm running the kit with full leaf packs I love it
5xpfus

5xpfyo

5xpg08

the only thing that could be better as mentioned before is to get upper CA's with the kit and I'm running the AA SYE and TW DS from rusty also I would buy his stuff again If I had to do it over.. netted right at 6 inches over stock. stayed the same for about 4 months... some pretty hard wheeling in that time. havent measured since i cut my fenders.

I run the rustys 4.5" full leaf pack kit. I also run the aa sye and cv ds and have no vibes at any speed. My only regret is i wish when i ordred the kit, that i would have gone with 3.5" rear leaf springs and extended shackles. Other than that i am very happy with this lift and it has worked flawlessly for me and flex's pretty good out of the box.

trimmingdone.jpg

flexpics.jpg

flexfront2.jpg

P6020085.jpg

EDIT: since these pictures i have folded over the front fenders for more strength and clearance. I also need extended bumpstops for the front to keep the tires off of the inner fender.

Last edited:
Chandler,
On this 4.5" kit, I went with the the leaf pack kit for my 2000 - no sagging as of 1 year. I have been pleased with the suspension - not too stiff. You will notice a difference in your braking with the larger tires - its just physics...so you may want to plan on upgrading to performance brake pads and/or rotors. I felt the need to do so even with my modest 32" tires. You will need to lower the TC 1", which the kit accomodates for, but consider Rusty's transfer case skid with integral 1" drop. With stock 3.55 gears...I had no vibes. When I regeared to 4.56, the vibes were brought to life. This is not uncommon with the lower gearing....as the driveshaft is rotating at a faster speed and the NP 231 output then produces the vibes. Realistically, plan ahead and budget for regearing and the transfer case hack -n- tap sye or heavy duty sye from AA or PORC along with a new driveshaft i.e Tom Woods. To provide a little insurance for your frame, you also may want to budget for the steering box brace as well. Hope this gives you some realistic things to consider.
-Tony

It is good t see this post. People that actually think Rusty's is worth the money. I really can't see putting the extra Money t a RE kit when Rusty's have everything in it. I spoke to the owner I believe, today he says that the rear leaf packs are actually made by the same people who make the 4.5 REs. Ne way.I am buying the kit next week. Hopefully I will install it then. Can anyone offer any advise?
Thanks

here is my buddy's lump of crap, rusty's 4.5" with full pack's. a$$ low after 3 month's

thezoo052.jpg

I have run Rusty's 4.5" lift with full leaf packs, HD track bar and mount for 2 1/2 years with no problems at all. Good ride and flex with no sag even after lots of flexing in Moab. A friend of mine just installed Rusty's 6" long arms and loves it. I checked out the kit before he installed it and all the parts were very heavy duty. The long arm flex is crazy! I will buy Rusty's again.

SJ

I've run Rusty's 4.5" lift for at least 2 years and I would buy it again. I have a 99 and I run the tranny drop and no shims. I had some driveline vibes for a about the first month while things settled in.

I don't run an SYE.

You get what you pay for with Rusty's stuff. His track bars are horrible. The stocker is beefier. I had bought a full 4.5 kit with new rear packs. I had some problems with fitment and DW following installation. Rusty was less than helpful to he honest. Within 4 months, most of the parts had been swapped out for one problem or another. The only part left from that kit on my truck is the main-leaf of the rear springs. Everything else is gone, thank goodness. I do have to say I didn't have much problem with the coils and ran them for a couple years until I redid the whole suspension and needed a different height spring. Rears sagged and had to be mutted with additional leaves.

Having watched similar threads since I had my troubles, it seems that many people have the same issues. Those that reccommend the kit typically have only just put it on and have little to compare it to. Rarely do you find someone that has run it for a long time without having problems.

If I could turn the clock back and make my decisions all over again, I would have gone with the Rubicon kit. It really isn't that much more money, but the quality is far superior. Unfortunately, beginner wheelers generally make decisions based on cost alone (as did I at one time), so Rusty remains in business.

To all of you with Rusty's equipment who would like to flame me, that is your choice. I am glad his stuff is working for you and I hope for your sake, it performs well in the future. But Rusty will not see another penny from me.

I have had Rusty's full 4.5" packs on the rear and his coils with a 1" spacer on the front for about 3 years now. The rear sits at more like 5-6" and the front sits at about 3" if I am lucky. I replaced the front springs with RE 4.5" and a 2" spacer....should be level now I hope. I have always ran his track bar, but have changed control arms somewhere along the way....running Tera long lowers and Curry uppers. I do have an SYE but I think that varies from heep to heep..... :wierd:

Jeep1.JPG

Back