• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wet carpet under rear seat

dakotus

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone elses carpet wet under the rear seat? I installed an amp there yesterday, and was suprised to see that under the carpet for the rear seat its really damp. Any ideas on what might have happened? how to fix?

I dont want to rip the carpet and herculine just yet.

Last edited:
Re: carpet under rear seat

You need to pull the carpet and find where the leak is coming from as the first step. It is possible that your a/c drain is plugged up front under the carpet on passenger side and it's migrating there.

Re: carpet under rear seat

Rich
Its possible for the water to migrate that far back? Right in front of the rear seat (where the hinge is) is about a 4 inch rise in the floor.

Hell, I'll dig back under there and check

If it is on the driver's side, check the plastic tube that carries the rear window washing fluid that runs at the drivers side door sill.

My 1990 had the water under the rear seats. I fixed it by sealing around the rear side windows and rear window ny sqirting butyl rubber (not silicone) sealant in bewteen the body and the rubber seal, using a bit of varsol to wipe off any the squeezed out when I used too much. It's been 4 or 5 years now, with no more water. You need to lift that carpet under the seats and in the cargo area, for it to dry. Otherwise you will have rust and moldy smells. I just propped mine up in the air on a bucket, and cleaned the floor. Butyl rubber caulking compound sticks well, is stronger than silicone, and is flexible.

Heres another possibility, on mine I had a leak coming from a crack in sheet metal where the latch for the rear seat is spot welded. The top latch for the back of the seat is spot welded on the inside of the tire well, this is where is was leaking and the crack was visible when looking on the outside just above the tire.I had 3 different leaks when I got mine second hand. I just took carpets out and rear plastic pieces, drove for a while til leaks were detected,fixed and then drove carpetless til no more water. One leak, the one above, only leaked when wheel kicked up road spray into the crack. Carpetless is the easiest for body cracks.

I had a similar problem and it was due to my muffler. The heat had eaten away the under coating and after time water had rusted out the floor board.

Mike

if you are in the rust belt check out your rear wheel wells. My girl freinds 94 had water coming from there and it showed up under the back seat b/c its down hill. Seam sealer works wonders catch it early before rust clames your jeep.

Just last week a local XJ owner mentioned to me that he had a serious leak where the electrics go through the body at the rear door. This caused the water to run through the back and down under the seats. Might be worth a check.

Back