• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

let's see who knows this (eagle)

xjndmud

NAXJA Forum User
if an xj has a digital odometer and being towed and is off, will the odometer still count miles so when u turn it on it will have shown the miles that it was towed?

I'd just pull the speed sensor's connector off of the t-case ---

Could also do a little highway-hill experiment with the key in offand coast a tenth or two...!

Post what you find - My thoughts are that it won't count "towed" miles...

i'll let y'all know. its my boss's new xj and we are curious cause it's a 97 with 130k miles but looks like it had a towbar on it and were wondering if it was towed behind a camper or something

My bet is that it does count them, same as the clock being able to keep time. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm guessing that there is a small electrical signal that is sent to the mini-odometer-computer to be processed. Possibly on a stack or queue of binary, and that is stored in a memory block powered by a battery. Obviously it has this sort of system while it's on, but it also must use the battery while off, otherwise how is the cluster going to recall what the mileage is, period? There isn't a hardrive to store it :)

Besides, a Saturn is the only car I can think of off hand that has a function to NOT count the miles... I'm not sure how I feel about them designing that function in.

Will count them-

Does not matter which way the driveshaft is turning, the signal the vss senses will be the same. Is a regular sine wave and hall sensor principal. That sine wave is the same either direction.

Back