• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a newb question

jayuu

NAXJA Forum User
alright, so i have a 93 xj with the ax15 manual transmission and np231j tcase with a chrysler 8.25. now i plan on getting a 4.5 inch lift and running 32s possibly 33s. from what i can tell i will need to buy a lift kit, tires wheels, and i was also planning on the jb sye and a tw driveshaft.

now the questions.
should this be all i need?
can i drive it with the stock ds for a while?
how do i measure the size for the new ds?
how do i know if i have teh 27 or 29 spline?
and do i really need the 29?

i thinks thats about it for now, thanks for any help.

jayuu said:
can i drive it with the stock ds for a while?
Probably not safely. Every Jeep seems to be different and other fols will have their opinions. Here's what I base mine on. A friend here in the North Atlantic Chapter was nicely set up with a '95 XJ wearing a 3" lift and 31" tires. Then he got it in his head that he just had to run 32" tires, so he threw in another 2" of lift. When he went for the inaugural test drive his drivesgat fell out less than a quarter of a mile down the road.

At the very least, if you can't do the SYE get the extended (YJ) slip yoke. It isn't a lot longer, only about 5/16" or so, but that little bit could make the difference.

how do i measure the size for the new ds?
Look on Tom Woods' web site, it's all explained there.

how do i know if i have teh 27 or 29 spline?
Unless your axle is not the original, you have a 27-spline. The only way to be 100% certain is to remove a shaft and count splines.
and do i really need the 29?
Maybe not if you drive with a light foot on the throttle. With 33" tires, it would be a lot better to run a 29-spline.

Or.....since you just bought it. You could put some 30's on it, wheel it for six months or so...and see what happens.

Or you could go: I just bought me an XJ, I just gotsta get me a bzillion mileso' liftism and 19" black steelies and 35" tires and a roll cage, and bumpers front and rear, and a tire carrier, and a roof rack, and a full cage, and a snorkle, and a FIPK, and a Borla, no...not Borla, I need a header, 'cause my exhaust is going to crack, or, no, can I weld that factory header, cause I'm broke, or no, what brand of carpet should I buy?

Sorry....I think I just had an aneurism.:wierd:

i plan on getting the ds as soon as i can measure it id only be driving it with the stock one until the new on had been shipped to me. i was reading a dif post and it said youd only really need the 29 if you were gonna lock the 33s but the most id do is a ls. so yeah. idk, i guess ill jsut wait and see waht happens.

oh and brute i wheeled my 86 xj on some 28s for a year.

Last edited:
Back