• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling Highsteer Arm

THRASHER

NAXJA Forum User
just got my flat top knuckle and my highsteer arm for my steering after my front leaf swap....the arm is undrilled, when drilling the arm for my drag link, how much should I take into account the leanght of the arm, should the hole be closer to the back or front because of leverage/binding ect? I know that I want to leave room for the tierod when I go full highsteer but that was all I was taking into account.....

any advice?

THRASHER said:
just got my flat top knuckle and my highsteer arm for my steering after my front leaf swap....the arm is undrilled, when drilling the arm for my drag link, how much should I take into account the leanght of the arm, should the hole be closer to the back or front because of leverage/binding ect? I know that I want to leave room for the tierod when I go full highsteer but that was all I was taking into account.....

any advice?

Measuring from the center of the balljoint, if you go more than 6.5" out, you will not have full steering. 6" out gives you a nice feel, and is just about the industry standard for an XJ length pitman arm. You can go out farther, but you will need a longer pitman to keep the steering ratio correct, and be able to use the full travel of your universal joints.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Measuring from the center of the balljoint, if you go more than 6.5" out, you will not have full steering. 6" out gives you a nice feel, and is just about the industry standard for an XJ length pitman arm. You can go out farther, but you will need a longer pitman to keep the steering ratio correct, and be able to use the full travel of your universal joints.

CRASH

thanks....exactly what I was looking for....

kevin

Back