• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailside tire repair for dummies

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
What's the secret to getting a fistful of plugs to stay in a sidewall gash and seal? I've seen tires that held air just fine with about a dozen plugs sticking out of the sidewall, so I know it can be done. I've tried a couple of times on smaller sidewall tears with momentary sucess at best. Should I clean the tear with a rasp? How about tire cement, will it help things out?

Rasp it to get the junk out. Use nice, fresh, sticky plugs. Don't use extra glue.

I've used old plugs, had them leak, replaced them with fresh plugs, and had them hold for several days of wheeling.

Oh, and always jam about twice the number of plugs in that is looks like the cut requires. Get them packed in there very tight.

Handlebars said:
What's the secret to getting a fistful of plugs to stay in a sidewall gash and seal? I've seen tires that held air just fine with about a dozen plugs sticking out of the sidewall, so I know it can be done. I've tried a couple of times on smaller sidewall tears with momentary sucess at best. Should I clean the tear with a rasp? How about tire cement, will it help things out?

CRASH said:
Oh, and always jam about twice the number of plugs in that is looks like the cut requires. Get them packed in there very tight.
How do you keep from shoving all of the previous plugs inside the tire when you do this? Do they bond that quickly?

I just checked my plugs, they were the brown Camel plugs. The label says, "DO NOT CONFUSE WITH PRODUCTS MADE BY NORTH SHORE LABS OR OTHERS". Does the WCGIC recommend any particular brand over the others?

Handlebars said:
How do you keep from shoving all of the previous plugs inside the tire when you do this? Do they bond that quickly?

I just checked my plugs, they were the brown Camel plugs. The label says, "DO NOT CONFUSE WITH PRODUCTS MADE BY NORTH SHORE LABS OR OTHERS". Does the WCGIC recommend any particular brand over the others?

Hold the previous plugs with pliers. The Safety Seal kit really is the best. I've used the brownish Camels with good luck. The black no-name plugs kind of suck.

Alex, I use the Camel plugs that I get at Pep Boys (by the box :)). I don't see any difference between them and the Safety Seal plugs, they look the same to me.

Don't use any glue, just the plugs. You sometimes have to grip the other plugs with something to hold them while you push in the last couple of plugs. It's normal to occasionally push a plug all the way through while your fixing a cut. Be sure to trim the plugs down close to the tire, but not too close. If they're not trimmed rocks will quickly pull the plugs out.

just how big a hole can you fill with plugs

Ramsey said:
just how big a hole can you fill with plugs

Kinda depends on the hole. If it's a jagged cut, or shaped like an L, not very big.....big being relative, maybe up 3/4" or 1" or so. If the cut is nice and straight you can fix a pretty big one.....up to 1.5-2".

thats a pretty big hole(thats what she said)just how many plugs would you guess it takes to fill one of hte larger ones

Handlebars said:
Thanks guys, I'm getting smarter by the minute. Now for one last question: Do you shove them all in folded in half with the Safety Seal insertion tool, or do stick the first few in by hand without folding 'em?

Use the tool on them all. Try to start at one end of the cut and work to the other end.

As far as how many plugs can you put in one cut......as many as it takes. :) Six...eight...ten.....

Back