• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar mount strength

ferday

NAXJA Forum User
hi, i've searched and found many tow hook related threads but not quite this...i'm going to drop the sway bar anyways with 2x4" box iron, and wondering about making longer box pieces and bolting some tow hooks to the same pieces. i would bolt a few extra through the unibody as well as using the existing sway bar mounts.

any thoughts on how strong these mounts would be?

thanks.

ferday said:
any thoughts on how strong these mounts would be?

thanks.

About as strong as glueing them on there. Please don't try it for your safety and others.

If I understand correctly, you want to mount a towhook to a swaybar drop bracket? Absolutely not!!!

A pull of any kind on that mount would put way too much stress on all the wrong parts in all the wrong fashions.

As far as a tow hook goes, the way they come from the factory/C4x4 is the best way to do it.

front hitch mounts using the swaybar mounts and two drilled holes.. check out a diagram of how they mount, and decide on your own... I am not a fan of hooks though..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

go here

http://www.etrailer.com/productdeta...arfrom=1989&h=e

its a drawtite, but 99% the same as the reese i have.. click on instructions, and you can see how it mounts...

thanks guys

dirk: i was going to make longer drop brackets and put a couple more bolts into the "frame" as well, not rely entirely on the sway bar mounts. from the sounds of things and the threads i have read, i'm better off springing for a hitch anyways...

Back