• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner Interior Questions - anyone done this?

Hi guys, I am going to rip out my stained, stinky carpet and paint on grey bedliner (after removing seats, console). I am not going to the rear cargo area, its carpet is clean, just the front passenger area back to where the carpet ends under the rear seat. I know some other people have done this to their xj.

How much do I need to buy? Its $20 off/gal right now so I want to get it right away even if I don't get around to ripping out all the carpeting for another month.

Also how has this been for those that tried it? Apparently its noisier... How much? Not a problem if its a little noisier, I usually drive with the windows down, our XJs are noisy anyway. And hotter? but I plan to reinstall the custom rubber floor mats. Why? because the mud, spills and especially SAND get around the mats and go right onto the carpet. I dont want to get another carpet, its too much hassle to keep it clean and odorless and I don't think carpeting a 4x4 is a good idea.

BTW, I did search and I couldn't find any information on the quantity needed even on the write ups posted to the internet, plus I can't get any solid opinions from people who did this. Anyway, I hope someone can help. Thanks.

1995 XJ, SE (4.0/5spd,4WD).

I used about 3/4 gallon to put down 2 coats front to back, including under the rear seat.
Can't answer your other questions, as my XJ has no top/doors, so heat & noise are non-issues.

Paul

Heat's a non issue for the most part. And noise isn't too bad. Driving with the carpet and liner removed before you put in the herculiner is noisy, but after the herculiner is in place, its barely noisier than carpet. Its totally worth being able to hose it out after mudrunning. My $0.02...

I haven;t done the herculiner so I can't answer any except two of your questions.

I have no carpet in mine....heat isn't too bad and I live in TX
and noise is a non-issue if your windows are down anyway....

HTH...
have fun prepping and prep ALOT...

I hurculined all the floors including the back and under all the seats too.. I did three coats on it all I recomend you do the same to yours it was a awesome idea for me and it cuts the sound amlost in half.

I put down about three coats. I used the whole gallon. Road noise I think is as loud as it was with the carpet. All I can say is it REALLY stinks, if you can leave all the doors open for acouple days!

it's louder...i think i can hear a lot more of what's going on underneath than with carpet.

my tranny tunnel can get pretty hot...hotter than comfortable to touch after any time on the highway.

Pat

I put two coats over my entire floor and noise is a tad louder, not bad though. I have an auto tranny and my right leg does feel more heat without the carpet, again not bad, but noticable. Definately worth doing. I also recommend drilling a couple large drain holes so you can hose it out when needed.

Who has it on sale ? we need a couple of gallons.

Thanks guys. I'll just get 1 gallon. That should be enough for what I need and still give it a couple coats. Yeah I plan to spend some time prepping it with the sanding and I already have the xylene. Where I live I can leave it open overnight no problem. Its for that reason I waited until summer when its hot & dry. The sale price is at NAPA stores I don't know if its a factory rebate or just applies to the local Napa. I think its $59/gal, and they already have a big backorder going. I'm not too worried about the tranny tunnel warming, its a 5 spd so that doesn't put off much heat right? Oh and how is that Zion product compared to the Herculiner if you know?

i'm happy with it. i added a heat shield over the muffler and cat to help combat heat. can't say on noise, as my doors are always off anyways.

DSC00054.JPG

Noise isn't an issue with me, but if it cuts down heat radiation into the cab, I think I'm gonna do it too.
Is it heat tolerant?
My Flowmaster, under the passenger seat and floorboard, melts anything not made of metal.
Lost a bottle of sunblock under that seat awhile back and I always smelled coconuts anytime I went wheeling.

Not quite on topic but.....anyone still have the link to the Exploder forum where the guy Herculined his hootus? I lost it transfered things to my new computer.

My brother and a couple other guys have used it in their Wranglers/Samurais around here, and the only thing I've noticed that I didn't like about Herculiner is the fading that occurs in the sun after a couple years. I'm still thinking about using Herculiner in my rig, but I've also found a local guy that is willing to spray my XJ floor with Line-X cheap, since there isn't anything left to mask off. Either way I'm going to wait till at least the end of summer to make sure I got all of the rust cleaned out before I waste money on bedlining floor that is going to rot away.

bbaker80 said:
My brother and a couple other guys have used it in their Wranglers/Samurais around here, and the only thing I've noticed that I didn't like about Herculiner is the fading that occurs in the sun after a couple years. I'm still thinking about using Herculiner in my rig, but I've also found a local guy that is willing to spray my XJ floor with Line-X cheap, since there isn't anything left to mask off. Either way I'm going to wait till at least the end of summer to make sure I got all of the rust cleaned out before I waste money on bedlining floor that is going to rot away.
If there's a problemwith fading, you can paint over Herc with Rustoleum oil-based paints. They come in quarts and gallons, apply with a roller. I threw 3 coats over my Herc'd exterior and it look "ok" again and made the surface a little less rough.

Right now I'm running full Rustoleum battleship grey interior. Lighter than the factory grey, but still looks good in comparison to the rust and primer that was there before. I didn't think to paint over the Herculiner, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might be something I'll look into, Herc the floor then paint again to match the rest of the interior. Thanks for the idea.

Is it heat tolerant?
My double coat of herculiner is heat tolerable, meaning it has not cracked, split, deformed, peeled, etc.
However, it is heat transferable. My flowmaster will still melt shoes, floor mats, etc. like you said "anything not made of metal"
a heat shield my be in my near future :)

Back