• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Axle Seal Press-In Method...

I’m about to replace the front seals in my Dana 30 & thought I’d see if anyone has an opinion on a tool that I would like to fab for the job. I’ve seen the long threaded shaft that madxj came up with to R&R his seals & that gave me an idea.

First, can I simply pull the old seals out using a standard seal puller? By that I mean, with the diff out, is there enough room to yank them out? This Dana 30 is in a 2000 XJ (a non-disco?) so the seals live behind the carrier.

Second, When the new seals go in, what about fabbing the install shaft/tool as madxj did, using washers to center the shaft in the axle tube(s), but modifying the end sticking out of the yoke to accept (survive) an air hammer. Would this gingerly move the seal into place or is this not a reality?

Thanks!

M Randolph

Check in the Modified Tech section,there is a Dana 30 thread written up by Crash.Toward the end is a description of the tool that pushes the seals in from the inside with a turnbuckle.
Wayne

Back