• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the B&M 70268 tranny cooler suffient if bypassing the radiator? (PS cooling too)

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
Is the B&M 70268 tranny cooler suffient if bypassing the radiator? (PS cooling too)

I know there's a similar thread about this here on the first page, but all I seem to keep finding on this subject is bits of info, and nothing really "definitive". The B&M 70268 seems to be the popular model to use, and it appears to be the biggest 3/4" wide stacked plate cooler than B&M makes. It also supposedly has some thermostatic bypass built in:

"B&M’s SuperCooler low pressure drop coolers reduce the risk of lube system failure. A controlled amount of automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is allowed to bypass the stacked plate core, passing through a self-regulating orifice, which monitors resistance to flow. Controlled by viscosity, the thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two open bypass passages positioned in the stacked plate core. As operating temperatures increase, more of the ATF flow is directed through the core. The result is highly efficient cooling technology that combines improved protection against lube system failure with the required levels of optimal heat transfer."

Now, I've searched and read back through about a year's worth of threads on tranny coolers and B&M coolers in particular. I've already got the Mopar aux tranny cooler from the tow package, but it's not really sufficient for hot-n-heavy wheelin' (tranny likes to top 220* often). So my plan is to get a new, bigger aux tranny cooler and mount it on the passenger side, bypass the in-radiator "cooler", and possibly reuse the OEM cooler as a PS cooler (ala Richard) and move it more to the driver's side.

I want to bypass the radiator to simplify the system and reduce the thermal load on the radiator (and hence the engine cooling itself), especially when wheelin' for long periods of time. It seems that others have done this with good results, but most of the info on this is along the lines of "don't be stupid when you do it" and "make sure you use a cooler that's big enough". Well, what's big enough?? Do you absolutely need a thermostatic bypass valve to get the tranny up to temp and keep it from running too cool?

I like the stacked plate design as I think it's more efficient at cooling vs the tube/fin design, and if the B&M has a thermostic bypass feature built-in (not exactly sure how they do it, but they say they do), that eliminates the need for an external thermostatic vavle when bypassing the radiator. The B&M 70268 measures 11"x7.5"x3/4" and is rated at 19,000GVW. Will this be sufficient as the sole fluid cooler for the tranny? Is anyone doing this exact thing?

If you are bypassing the radiator, what specific setup are you running? Brand/model/size cooler? thermo bypass valve? external filter?

Or should I go with something like the 12"x11" Imperial model from Advance Auto Parts as shown in this write-up?

http://www.electronicimpulse.net/~vissagoth/jeep/tech/trancool.htm

And for those of you running a power steering cooler, is there anything "special" in plumbing one of those in? For you guys using a Mopar tranny cooler as a PS cooler, have you had any issues with that? The tubes on the Mopar tranny cooler look relatively thin (vs the round 1/2" tubes on something like a PermaCool model), so I wasn't sure if it would be able to flow enough? Of course, I have no idea what kind of flow rates the PS system has, so it may be a non-issue.

Last edited:
Re: Is the B&M 70268 tranny cooler suffient if bypassing the radiator? (PS cooling too)

well, since apparently no one is running that specific setup, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Got my B&M 70268 tranny cooler installed over the weekend. Took the front clip apart, bent up the supplied mounting brackets, and viola.

100_0775.JPG

I had to work on the brackets a bit more after I took that pic to get the cooler closer to the condenser so it would clear the top of the front clip without rubbing.

Radiator is completely bypassed now. I have a tranny temp gauge to keep an eye on things (installed last summer).

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all works out...

Re: Is the B&M 70268 tranny cooler suffient if bypassing the radiator? (PS cooling too)

Please post how it works i want to do the same to my 93.

Two years ago I added a Ford SuperDuty PS cooler to my PS system. Looks like a B&M cooler about 6"x9". Solved the immediate overheating PS problem and still works good today.

Let us know how the tranny cooler goes. Mine is fried, so when it gets overhauled, I may do the same...

Which line should you tap into in order to install a PS cooler? I've been searching, but I haven't found an answer quite yet.

xjj33p3r said:
Which line should you tap into in order to install a PS cooler? I've been searching, but I haven't found an answer quite yet.

The low pressure return line.
Wayne

Jeepin Jason said:
well, since apparently no one is running that specific setup, I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Got my B&M 70268 tranny cooler installed over the weekend. Took the front clip apart, bent up the supplied mounting brackets, and viola.

100_0775.JPG

I had to work on the brackets a bit more after I took that pic to get the cooler closer to the condenser so it would clear the top of the front clip without rubbing.

Radiator is completely bypassed now. I have a tranny temp gauge to keep an eye on things (installed last summer).

Guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all works out...

You never posted about the performance of your new tranny cooler... let me know please.

so far so good on the road. haven't had it offroad yet. :( Odd thing is, engine temps appear to be slightly higher than previously, though still 210* or under so they're perfectly fine.

Tranny temps so far in commuter traffic in the Texas summer have been 160* or less, and it does take a bit longer than before to warm up, which is to be expected since it's not getting heat transfer from the engine coolant now.

Jeepin Jason said:
so far so good on the road. haven't had it offroad yet. :( Odd thing is, engine temps appear to be slightly higher than previously, though still 210* or under so they're perfectly fine.

Tranny temps so far in commuter traffic in the Texas summer have been 160* or less, and it does take a bit longer than before to warm up, which is to be expected since it's not getting heat transfer from the engine coolant now.

Would you recommend the upgrade? I live in CA and wheeling in the desert in the summer things get pretty hot. Plus im going to be towing a trailer and dont want to overheat the engine that would not be good. Do you have a/c ? Do you use it and if so how does it work since you block the radiator a little bit w/ the trans cooler?

Re: Is the B&M 70268 tranny cooler suffient if bypassing the radiator? (PS cooling to

Jeein is seeing higher temps because the cooler is restricting some of the air flow and the heat from the transmission is being transfered to the engine coolant. The only real solution around this is to relocate the tranny cooler to another location.

Regarding the original post....classic marketing bla bla. For the most part, it is real simple. The amount of cooling is dependant on the BTU's you can extract....or, in simple terms, the larger the surface area, the cooler the air temp...usually means better cooling...plus or minus a few details.

Look at it this way....a 3 core radiator cools better because you have increased the surface area by 33.3%...but, the air hiting that third core is hotter after traveling over the first two...hence, your cooling is not 33.3% better, but rather more like 22%. Which is still better than you had.

Bottom line...the amount of cooling you get is related to the volume of fluid vs. the surface area it passes throught vs the temp of the air. Put a tranny cooler in front of the radiator?...tranny runs cooler but the radiator now sees higher temps.....engine runs a little hotter.

If you really want to cool the tranny, look at some of the frame mounted coolers. You can easily use these in conjunction with the existing tranny cooler in the radiator.

Don't know-I only run Manual trannies, have had too many autos die to even THINK about running a "city-box" ever again. Good luck with it though. The wife is trying to convince me that she needs this AND an auto tranny for the 6th time. Will check back once in a while to see up-dates.

Jason...

Do all XJ's have the internal tranny cooler from the factory? Mine is a 6 cyl. 2000 also am i going to need extra tranny cooling hose or is there enough in there already to route the hose to the external tranny cooler?

Looking at the mounting location of the trany cooler, any heat/air goes into your radiator anyways not to mention the restricted air flow.

Totally bypassing the radiator depends some what on where you live, in cooled weather the radiator is needed to HEAT the trans fluid to operating temp.

Re: Is the B&M 70268 tranny cooler suffient if bypassing the radiator? (PS cooling to

fdsa487 said:
Would you recommend the upgrade? I live in CA and wheeling in the desert in the summer things get pretty hot. Plus im going to be towing a trailer and dont want to overheat the engine that would not be good. Do you have a/c ? Do you use it and if so how does it work since you block the radiator a little bit w/ the trans cooler?

I live in TX. AC is a requirement, and mine on all the time. Specifically, it's on 'MAX' (recirc) with the fan at either the 2nd or 3rd setting. Hasn't changed from that since probably March.

In fact, on our Denali XL, you have to push a button to turn the AC OFF.

If you search on here you'll find lots of info about tranny coolers. I honestly haven't run mine long enough to make an informed recommendation. So far it's working fine for me, but so far I've only been driving it like this in the summer, on the street.

fdsa487 said:
Do all XJ's have the internal tranny cooler from the factory? Mine is a 6 cyl. 2000 also am i going to need extra tranny cooling hose or is there enough in there already to route the hose to the external tranny cooler?

Yes, the factory setup has the tranny fluid (auto) routed to the built-in internal heat exchanger in the radiator. If you go back and look at my install write-up on Jeepin.com, you'll see that the B&M kit I used comes with all the fittings and hose you'll need, whether you bypass the rad or plumb the cooler inline with the rad. FYI: XJ's with the tow package (or the UpCountry package too I think) came with an aux cooler from the factory. It's plumbed in after the radiator. This is what I replaced with the B&M on my rig actually.

edit: regarding the location of my cooler, I put it where I did so it would be in front of the mech fan, so there would be a greater constant airflow there vs sitting in front of the aux fan. You're going to get far greater heat transfer to the coolant by having the tranny fluid running through the radiator than you will by having the cooler sitting in front of the rad. I've seen guys mount whopping 12x12" tranny coolers in front of the rad without problems. The factory aux cooler sits in front of the rad, but it's long and short and sits along the bottom, right behind where a winch goes (one reason I got a new cooler and moved it).

edit 2: I just realized I never posted a link to my install write-up: http://jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/index.asp

Last edited:

Jeepin Jason said:
FYI: XJ's with the tow package (or the UpCountry package too I think) came with an aux cooler from the factory. It's plumbed in after the radiator. This is what I replaced with the B&M on my rig actually.

So wait your saying that some XJ's w/ factory tow package or the upcountry package, from the factory, have an external transmission cooler already?

Yup, you can see mine sitting behind the winch. It was standard with the tow package, and I think it was also part of the UpCountry pkg.

100_0743.JPG

I have the exact tranny cooler exactly where Jeepin Jason has his with no ill affects on the engine temp. I do not have the in-radiator cooler attached and have not had it for 2 years. I do notice last winter when I was in CT visiting family that the AW4 did not shift as smothly as it should. I attribute that to the oil being too cold. Did I also mention I am using Amsoil in the AW4 for more that 30,000 miles? Here in Miami after say the first 3 miles after an over night stop the shifts are perfect. Engine stays straight up 210* at 45-55 MPH on the highway with no AC. At 75MPH and above it falls to below the 210* mark. With the AC on no matter the speed or stop lights for that matter it stays below the 210* mark.

I have one by "Mister Transmission" the biggest one they sold, paid 109$cdn for it, its about a foot by 8 inches i would say. Don't know what my temp was before, but when im on the street, the thing goes up to 170-180, when i boot it for few minutes, it does 180. When coasting at about 30mph 150...
when on hiway ... just a notch below 150...i have it installed without the stock one in the rad... 98 4L

Is AW4 like the model number of the transmission? I have a 2000 4x4 Sport w/ a 4 Litre and an NP231 so do i have the AW4?

If you've got the auto tranny, then yes, you've got the AW4.

Back