• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nitrogen & CO2 setups

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
I need a Nitrogen tank & guage setup for my rear shocks.
Can anyone tell me if N2 and CO2 guages/tanks are interchangable?
IOW, is there any reason I can't use a CO2 setup to run Nitrogen?
I figure guages are guages but don't know for sure.

I've checked into this too for different reasons. Brewers often use nitrogen or a 70/30 CO2/nitrogen mix to push kegged beer.

There are a few obstacles but not a definite answer per se.

CO2 under pressure in a tank is in a liquid state (usually at 800 psi, I believe). Nitrogen is in a gaseous state at or above 2000 psi. If you have a steel tank this is no problem or a strong aluminum tank. All tanks should be marked with a pressure rating.

This is also a problem when filling. Shops are not allowed to fill CO2 setups with nitrogen due to some laws. A lot of them however will do it anyway.

Also there are different valves for the different gasses as well as different regulators. A CGA580 valve is supposed to be used with N2.

You can probably buy a 10lb steel tank at your welding supply shop (or homebrew shop) just make sure if has a CGA580 connection required with the nitrogen regulator.

Nitrogen regulator can be found here for $60. www.northernbrewer.com/gas-handling.html

HTH

I am using my Powertank filled with nitrogen to do my rear shocks right now. The only problem is that the regulator will only output 250psi. It is just enough for my rear setup but most of my XJ is chopped off. Watch out for the cheap regulators like the one linked above..they will not put out enough pressure to tune your shocks.
indy0510103fh.png

How much is required to charge the shocks?

I guess I should have known it would be that high.

are they airshocks or just regular shocks? if airshocks you can use a much lower pressure by extending them all the way and then filling, then when you let it down the pressure will go way up to what you want. Of course it is the same with regular shocks, but to a lesser degree.

Back