• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybilt Bumper Thumper

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok I have been looking into something for a light brush guard on my 98 XJ. Im looking into picking up one of the bumper thumpers and putting on the brush guards, due to the relative inexpensiveness of this setup. However, I have a set of rustys tow hooks on the front. I noticed that they note it will not fit a 99 XJ with factory tow hooks...any chance that this setup will not fit my application?

Thanks for any insight

No experiences? Insight? Not even criticism?

The aftermarket tow hook brackets are very similar to the stock ones, so I would hazard a guess that this would not work for you.

See if you can get your hands on an older-style XJ Bumper Thumper. I believe the Smittybilt # is J42. I have the older style on my '99 Limited and it doesn't interfere with tow hooks because it only mounts to the OEM bumper--not the tow hook mounts like the new style. I got mine here in Toledo at Willys Overland Motors. http://www.willysoverland.com/ The guys can be kind of rude--just a fair warning. You may have to explain a few times what you want.

My curiosity is that it only lists the incompatability with a 99 with tow hooks, not a 98. I dont see how there is a difference between the two years though....

Yeah the sites ive checked out list it for 1984-2000 cherokee.....excluding 99 sport with factory tow hooks. Anyone reading this have a 99 sport? Or any ideas on how I can figure this out?

Back